March 2019 Timetable Revision

Today, the JR group companies released information about the March 2019 timetable revision. I will try to summarise the JR Shikoku changes in this post. Other JR companies will follow.

Limited Expresses

Yosan Line

Several Shiokaze limited expresses will now offer better connection to Nozomi Shinkansen services to and from Tokyo. Some Shiokaze and Ishizuchi services for Matsuyama will now also couple together at Tadotsu station instead of Utazu station.

Dosan Line

There will be some changes in the routes of Nanpu, Shimanto and Ashizuri services. All Nanpu services will from now on run between Okayama and Kochi. Shimanto services will run between Takamatsu and Kochi, except for one service from Sukumo to Takamatsu. Ashizuri services will run between Kochi and Nakamura, except for one service from and one service to Sukumo.

Local Trains

Honshi-Bisan Line

The local trains between Okayama - Kotohira/Kanonji that cross the Seto-Ohashi Bridge will be abolished. This means no more JR West 113 Series and 115 Series on Shikoku, and no more JR Shikoku 113 Series and 6000 Series on Honshu.

Mugi Line

JR Shikoku will introduce a timetable with regular intervals on the Mugi Line. This means no more having to look up departure and arrival times if you remember the hourly repeating schedule. The amount of return trips per day between Tokushima and Anan will also increase by 8.

Sources:

http://www.jr-shikoku.co.jp/03_news/press/2018 12 14 02.pdf

https://www.westjr.co.jp/press/article/items/181214_00_okayama_1.pdf

Today, the JR group companies released information about the March 2019 timetable revision. I will try to summarise the JR West changes in this post.

Shinkansen

Mizuho

The amount of Mizuho return trips will be increased by one.

Nozomi

Some Nozomi services will get a quicker timetable.

Limited Expresses

Hokuriku Main Line

One extra Thunderbird return trip during the evening rush hour, and an extension of Ohayo/Oyasumi Express services to Tsuruga.

Rakuraku Harima

A new commuter ltd. express between Himeji and Osaka stations, similar to existing Biwako Express services.

Commuter Trains

Kinki Area

Umekoji-Kyotonishi station on the Sagano Line (Sanin Main Line) will be opened. A-Seat reserved seat cars will be introduced on some rush hour Special Rapid A services between Aboshi/Himeji and Yasu. The Osaka Higashi Line section between Kyuhoji and Shin-Osaka will be opened, with up to 4 local trains (201 Series) and 2 Yamatoji Line interconnecting rapid trains (207 or 321 Series) during the rush hours. 227 Series trains will be introduced on the Sakurai Line and Wakayama Line.

Okayama Area

The new Onomichi station building will be opened. Many connections between Shinkansen and local trains at Fukuyama and Mihara stations will be shortened. Uno Line trains will now run from Okayama to either Uno or Kashima in a more regular interval.

Hiroshima Area

227 Series will be introduced on all Hiroshima Area local trains. This also means that all JNR-era multiple units will be withdrawn.

Source:

https://www.westjr.co.jp/press/article/2018/12/page_13525.html

• Like 1

Today, the JR group companies released information about the March 2019 timetable revision. I will try to summarise the JR East changes in this post.

Shinkansen Services

Tohoku-Hokkaido Shinkansen

Along with increasing the maximum speed in the Seikan Tunnel from 140 km/h to 160 km/h, Hayabusa services will become four minutes faster. Along with the introduction of the E5 Series, one of the remaining Hayate services between Tokyo and Morioka will be renamed Hayabusa.

Joetsu Shinkansen

E7 Series will be introduced on some Joetsu Shinkansen services, which also means the introduction of Gran Class on this line. Connections at Niigata between Toki Shinkansen and Inaho ltd. exp. services will be improved.

Limited Express Services

Boso Area

Home Liner Chiba services will be abolished.

Chuo Main Line

All Azusa and Kaiji services will be standardised using E353 Series, which means the end of the E257 Series on this line. Fuji Kyuko Line through running Fuji Kaiyu services using 3-car E353 series will be introduced. The new ltd. exp. services Hachioji and Ome using E353 Series will replace existing Chuo Liner and Ome Liner services.

Shinonoi Line

Abolishment of Ohayo Liner services with 189 Series trains, which will be replaced by a rapid service train. Removal of E257 Series from local train services.

Commuter Services

Tokyo Metropolitan Area

Some extra services and slight timetable changes here and there, but nothing special.

Joban Line

Opening of J village station in Fukushima prefecture.

Source:

http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2018/20181213.pdf

Edited by Densha
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, Densha said:

Joetsu Shinkansen

E7 Series will be introduced on some Joetsu Shinkansen services, which also means the introduction of Gran Class on this line. Connections at Niigata between Toki Shinkansen and Inaho ltd. exp. services will be improved.

Will this also mean the eminent retirement of the E4 Max shinkansens?  😞 One of the nicer shinkansen around, and the only double decker...

Thanks for this translation Densha.  I had forgotten all about the Kyuhoji to Shin-Osaka portion of the Osaka Higashi Line.  I look forward to the zenmen tenbou videos 🙂

All JNR EMUs withdrawn in the Hiroshima area?  Wow.  Still lots of 113s and 115s in Okayama as far as I know.  117s too.  Anything from Hiroshima that in reasonably good shape will probably go to Okayama.

Too bad about the Seto-Ohashi Line services.  The Marine Liner runs every 30 minutes I think, I guess it's not such a big deal but I guess it must mean more transfers for some people.

As far as I know JR East hasn't made any announcements regarding the 185 series, so looks like they will survive for at least a while. Replacement by the E257 series is also still not official, so it's not clear where exactly what rolling stock will end up.

Yes, that is what Japanese rail fans have been speculating too. Modernised Hiroshima 113/115s will probably replace any left unmodernised Okayama 115s. Some might possibly go to Yamaguchi too, but I know so little about that area that saying anything about it would be pure speculation.

Shikoku really has been losing a lot of direct connections to Honshu during the last couple of years. Limited express services from Okayama to Tokushima and Uwajima are already gone, and now those to Nakamura/Sukumo will do so too. In addition there is the Seto-Ohashi Line locals that will be abolished as well.

• Densha changed the title to March 2019 Timetable Revision

Found this worth mentioning. With the March 2019 timetable revision, JR Shikoku retired their two remaining 113 series formations - the blue and pink ones. The yellow one was already retired in 2016.

• Sad 1