Another Tram Layout Design using Mac app

AllenZ

Hi

I found this Rail Modeller Express app for Mac.  The pro version comes about $35 or so but the express version is free.  the free version does have Unitram templates.

Anyway, I'm trying to design a Unitram layout trying to keep in interesting but small   This 2nd design (First one not published yet) is 78.04 x 42.33mm.  There's no reversing loops or conflicts in this one and I like that as opposed to my first choice. I do have 2 power packs.

I wonder how exact the design app is though,  Look at the photo and see the orange arrows showing gaps in the track.  What are your thoughts.

Thanks

AllenChoice-2-layout.thumb.jpg.ffc0c17481d91f2029afe9bbc25d1820.jpg

• Like 1

Allen,

ive user rail modeler quite a bit and it is very accurate, not had it come up with odd alignments.

your problem is the curves do not use parallel tracks. Each 45 section goes from 25mm spacing to the end that matched up thigh the straight sections (those are 25mm spaced) to 33mm spacing at the other end (middle of the 90). So a 90 degree piece goes from 25 to 33 to 25L This means you cant use the unitram straights (25mm space) in the 45 diagonal stretch, you would need to use regular unitrak single or double track there (33mm spaced).

also you have a number of the curves with 25 and 33 ends mated up that will make things go wonky. Rail modeler will let you join one of the two tracks on these different spaced ends so it seems like it will work. Also a few straights are not joined so will throw stuff off more. Geometries dont always line up as well with this sort of design with the limited options of unitram and the odd curves they have.

Cheers,

jeff

Edited by cteno4

That track plan won't work.  The track center of the half curves goes from 33mm to 25mm and you need either a turnout and a curve or two curves to complete a turn that allows you to continue with street track straights which all are  25mm track center. Those track pieces are just placed adjacent not connected. Its a bad plan that could cause you to waste a lot of money on track pieces that can't be connected.

Edited by bill937ca

Thanks for the comments.  Some remarks I'm not sure I understand but that's why I joined this forum.  Here is an original got off a YouTue video. That seems to work using all Unitram.  Never designed a layout before  using an app. ummmm So I need to complete  a 90' curve instead of a half curve then?

Thanks

Allen

Edited by cteno4
Photo ownership

That plan does not reflect what is in the photo above.

Unitram is very rigid in its geometry.  It does not allow you to do 45 degree turnouts like the plan. Only 90 degree like the photo above. Each curve is made up two pieces. The curve starts with a 25mm track center widens to 33mm (at the joint of the two curve sections) and narrows to 25mm allowing you to connect to all straight sections which have 25mm track center.

Edited by bill937ca

Allen,

if you look at the layout you are referencing you see it’s symetrical in the inside sidings and they go full 90 turns. You could lenghen this with straights all the way across in the same direction in the outer loop and the two inner sidings.

unitram track is strange and unique that it’s curved tracks don’t run parallel like they do in all the other unitrak and finetrak double tracks do. Somthis means they need to go on full 90 turns as there is no 33 spaced straight unitram track to use there. You could use regular unitrak (ie non stree embedded track, just bare track) but it will be hard to get the geometries correct to make it fit together. Unitram is limited in options and designed to mainly do more square block designs with all 90 degree turns.

the good thing about the layout you reference is thst it does no reversing loops so you don’t have any complicated wiring and such to do for operations.

cheers

jeff

Okay Guys.  Thank you very much.  I opened the plan an zoomed in.  NOW I see what you're all talking about. Match a 101 an 102 not 2 1o1's or 2's.  Got it now! 😉  Also when I had it right the icons seemed to magically connect like a magnet.

Zooming in gave me a much better perspective.  It's a learning curve and I'm so glad I found this forum and the help I'm getting.

Allen

Allen,

great, life will be better now for you! It’s a lot of practice fiddling with the rail programs. Railmodler is pretty good, only thing that bugs me is the track selection palate is not so hot to find stuff. I usually set out a set of the type parts I am going to use and then just clone from those.

keep at it, a lot of it is just experimenting and practicing.

jeff

😉 I could't have done it with help from this forum.

Thanks everyone. Now waiting for my parts to arrive  and start building. 2 switch tracks arrived today.  2 more coming.

Allen