Wombat Models NSWGR C30T steam loco

marknewton

So I broke with the habits of a lifetime and bought a model of an engine from my railway for myself. It’s a C30T, a class of engine converted from C30 class 4-6-4 tank engines that were made redundant by the electrification of the Sydney suburban railway network. They were still relatively new, and far too good to scrap, so about half the class had their trailing bogie and bunker removed, gained a tender and became very useful branchline power.

I’ve worked on four of the six preserved examples, so I thought I might get one as a memento. And due to Wombat Models taking over a failed project started by another manufacturer,  they’re quite inexpensive compared to most RTR Australian prototype steam models. Mine cost AUD$325. And it looks the part, and runs very sweetly. So I’m very happy with it. After a trial run tonight on the club layout I’ll be numbering and lightly weathering it. 

Cheers,

Mark.

large.449A68B4-CC1D-474C-968F-BC9372C2EA

• Like 6
Das Steinkopf

Nice to see these models finally become available and at a very good price compared to the prices originally touted by where there is Hope there is no hope, I find the name Wombat Models rather ironic as they certainty didn't eat, root and leave unlike the previous "owner" who I have the misfortune of knowing quite well. 

Edited by Das Steinkopf
  • Haha 2
On 12/2/2018 at 1:38 PM, miyakoji said:

Looks great Mark.  How closely have you modeled the station and its surroundings?

Very closely, although if the layout was about six inches wider we could have included my house! 🙂  That was part of the reason I joined this particular club - a model of my home town and home depot. And it’s a friendly bunch of people who don’t suffer from the intense parochialism that so many local modellers have about anything foreign.

The layout represents Waterfall as it was up until the end of the 1960s. Since then the place has changed a lot, the biggest change being the electrification in 1980. The wooden station building is gone, as well as the staff houses and loco barracks on the eastern side. The turntable is still in place, but the siding that lead to it is lifted. But the water tank and column are still there, and serviceable. It gets used by the occasional steam excursion such as the Kiama Picnic Train. The weighbridge road is now a single-ended siding used to stable track machines and cripple wagons.

http://www.imra.org.au/waterfall_.html

All the best,

Mark.

9 hours ago, marknewton said:

Very closely, although if the layout was about six inches wider we could have included my house! 🙂  That was part of the reason I joined this particular club - a model of my home town and home depot. And it’s a friendly bunch of people who don’t suffer from the intense parochialism that so many local modellers have about anything foreign.

Sadly we have that here at times. Local n track was that way when I moved to dc and my Japanese ideas were frowned upon by many in charge of module review. Nicely the new president took me aside and said that would be changing soon, but about that time I stumbled upon a couple of other Japanese Modelers in the area and we started JRM. Wonderfully the ntrak club really changed about then as well and that president ended up vacationing in japan and getting some shinkansens and eventually doing 4 beautiful Japanese ntrak modules and others in the club also got some Japanese trains.

jeff