Flyover?

EdF

Looking to make a loading yard past the end cap.  My idea is to take the inside(yellow) line up and over the outside(red) line.  But I don't know how short that could be done in, or if you can do an S curve that crosses 1,2 or 3 33m centered tracks.  Any one now the minimum ramp up, for japanese urban trains, not Shinkansen or 89' north American stock.  Or how narrow and scurvy could be done in?

Thanks, Ed

The maximal ramp is 4% for suburban trains, but some might struggle on it. The basic Kato incline set (23-015) will get you exactly this, while the extended set (23-016) combined with the basic set gets you a 2% ramp that should be ok for all trains, assuming you use the standard S248 straights to go up. The shorter ramp length will be 5 * 248 = 1240 mm or 1.24 meters. (times two as you have to come down on the other side) The pier heights are 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 mm, with an exact 4% ramp.

The elevation will be 50 mm, the standard Kato elevated height. For the crossover i would use an R418-15, 4 pieces of S64 elevated track and another R481-15. This is exactly 2 times 248 mm long or two S248 tracks. This geometry will land you perfectly aligned on the other side of the tracks.

The whole flyover with up and down ramp and diagonal crossing would be 1240 * 2 + 248 * 2 = 12 * 248 = 2976 mm or 2.976 meters. Imho this is a nice feature for a layout.

• Thanks 1
Takahama Trainwatcher
On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 3:21 AM, kvp said:

The elevation will be 50 mm, the standard Kato elevated height. For the crossover i would use an R418-15, 4 pieces of S64 elevated track and another R481-15. This is exactly 2 times 248 mm long or two S248 tracks. This geometry will land you perfectly aligned on the other side of the tracks.

The straight sections (S64 x 4) would only be supported at each end of the straight (where it transitions to curve), right? Would you need to provide some kind of structural support for the centre of that straight?

10 hours ago, Takahama Trainwatcher said:

The straight sections (S64 x 4) would only be supported at each end of the straight (where it transitions to curve), right? Would you need to provide some kind of structural support for the centre of that straight?

If 3 pier joiners are used between each section (looking up) and the 2 unijoiners, that should be good enough when braced from both sides. If not, then gluing the 4 short pieces together would probably solve any movement issues. Even water soluble synthetic white glue around the pier joiners should be enough.

Edited by kvp
  • Like 1
Takahama Trainwatcher

I don't recall (and presently can't find reference to any) 64 mm elevated straights from Kato. Do they exist? If not, perhaps the ground level track would have to "jink" while the flyover would be dead straight.

I did some messing around with Anyrail to see how such a flyover could work.  When using a two track main there isnt any room for a straight at the crossover, but using two R348-30 curved viaduct pieces nicely crosses over the tracks at 50mm hight.  Knowing how much play kato track allows, an S64+S38 will connect the nonflyover tracks just fine.

983374026_Flyovertest.thumb.PNG.23185e23a903f91cc803d0984914d3ae.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Takahama Trainwatcher said:

I don't recall (and presently can't find reference to any) 64 mm elevated straights from Kato. Do they exist? If not, perhaps the ground level track would have to "jink" while the flyover would be dead straight.

In that case, you might as well add a 248 mm bridge there and make the flyover ramps bend closer to the straights. The elevated piers allow that.

3rd option is to make a 64mm*4 bridge out of ground tracks and bridge kit parts (or wood/styrene). Even Kato sells trackless viaducts, so kitbashing a 248+8mm long one is possible out of two. Then just put the tracks in it and connect it normally.

2 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

I did some messing around with Anyrail to see how such a flyover could work.  When using a two track main there isnt any room for a straight at the crossover, but using two R348-30 curved viaduct pieces nicely crosses over the tracks at 50mm hight.  Knowing how much play kato track allows, an S64+S38 will connect the nonflyover tracks just fine.

983374026_Flyovertest.thumb.PNG.23185e23a903f91cc803d0984914d3ae.PNG

I was going to check that out, thanks.