DCC installation services in the US

Kiran

Now that I have ordered the NCE Power Cab starter set and a DCC loco with sound, I am thinking of converting a few of the locos I have to DCC preferably with sound. A few possibilities are the Dapol Class 43 HST from the UK and a Kato P42 superliner loco #161. Since I don't have enough vision to be able to mess around with small components, I am going to look for a DCC installation service preferably in the US.

I thought I will check with the forum members to see if there are any recommendations? A quick search on the internet seems to return a number of results for DCC installers. 

Of course, I have to first test the NCE system to see if I can even operate the basic functions without sight.

P.S: I don't think I am violating forum guidelines by asking for recommendations like these but mods, apologies in advance if I did.

I do DCC installs for a few members here, but you could also check if there are any local shops in your area.  Some will do the install for free even with a decoder purchase if its something quick and simple.  The Kato P42 should fall into that category as it is a drop in decoder.  Not sure how easy the installation for the Dapol unit is as I haven't looked at any myself.

Newer Dapol installations are super easy. Just remove the shell and there's a socket to connect a European style 6 pin decoder. The decoders are available at modeltrainstuff.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

I do DCC installs for a few members here, but you could also check if there are any local shops in your area.  Some will do the install for free even with a decoder purchase if its something quick and simple.  The Kato P42 should fall into that category as it is a drop in decoder.  Not sure how easy the installation for the Dapol unit is as I haven't looked at any myself.

I will ask the train shop here in Santa Clara but they aren't the most friendly folk. Do you know if there is a decoder with sound for P42?

Yep, digitrax makes one with sound for the P42 for about 60 to 70 usd.  The class 43 should take two 6 pin decoders which should be about $30 each.  If you want I would be willing to do the work if the local place isn't very friendly.  I've done installations for quite a few others in the local clubs, and a few for serotta1972 here on the forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kiran, I asked my local train guy today if he did installations. He's an honest, trustworthy and interesting guy and always has good prices. He does n scale but unfortunately doesn't do sound in nscale. If you're interested this is his website.

https://houseoftrains.com/

On 11/21/2018 at 10:44 PM, Kiha66 said:

Yep, digitrax makes one with sound for the P42 for about 60 to 70 usd.  The class 43 should take two 6 pin decoders which should be about $30 each.  If you want I would be willing to do the work if the local place isn't very friendly.  I've done installations for quite a few others in the local clubs, and a few for serotta1972 here on the forum.

Thank you. I will send you a private message.

On 11/22/2018 at 1:44 AM, Kiha66 said:

Hi kiha66, I think I sent you a direct message. Can you please check or can you please drop me a note?

Thanks,

Kiran

Edited by cteno4
Removed email

Woah woah there I highly discourage the use of aDigitrax sound decoder, they have poor motor control, poor sound, and not even close to having the right prime mover let alone the K5LA sound files. 

If you are going to put sound in that a Loksound Select Micro can be hard wired to the light board and motor tabs and a small cell phone speaker are slim enough to sit on top of the mech and have the shell still fit. Plus the have the correct sound files GE 7FDL16 and the correct horn... Gotta love that K5LA! 

Sorry if I'm stand offish on this, 

The Genesis (P40/P42DC) is one of my favorite GE Locomotives... hate to see someone be less than thrilled with their models by putting a inferior decoder in them. 😄

I'll admit the Loksound decoders are a tad pricey, but they are so worth it! 

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, nscaler711 said:

and a small cell phone speaker are slim enough to sit on top of the mech and have the shell still fit.

This is a brilliant idea! Can you write a short description on how to do this?

4 minutes ago, nscaler711 said:

I'll admit the Loksound decoders are a tad pricey, but they are so worth it! 

I also like ESU. Except that you need to buy their proprietary Lok Programmer. I'm assuming you own one. What's it like? How is it to use? For sound? For motor only ESU decoders. I've never much liked JMRI. The more I use JMRI, the more tempted I am to just buy a Lok Programmer and go exclusively ESU. If it worked for D&H as well, it would be a no-brainer.

16 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

This is a brilliant idea! Can you write a short description on how to do this?

I'm actually doing this with the Digitrax decoder in the P42, I'll be posting pics when I do the install.  Its fairly easy and puts out a surprising amount of sound.  Just waiting on the decoders to arrive, I ordered just as every store went on holiday break so they are shipping rather slowly.

25 minutes ago, nscaler711 said:

Woah woah there I highly discourage the use of a Digitrax sound decoder, they have poor motor control, poor sound, and not even close to having the right prime mover let alone the K5LA sound files. 

While Digitrax may not be as swanky and fancy as some of the other brands, they have always been reliable and incredibly supportive with their products.  The ESU representative really burned a lot of bridges in my area with false statements and poor support for their products, so very few shops will carry them any more.  I only use ESU now when they are the only sound file for a model as I cant afford to spend more on the decoder than the locomotive, and especially can't afford to take the hit if they fail and ESU refuses to support their products.  

Edited by Kiha66
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

I'm actually doing this with the Digitrax decoder in the P42, I'll be posting pics when I do the install.  Its fairly easy and puts out a surprising amount of sound.  Just waiting on the decoders to arrive, I ordered just as every store went on holiday break so they are shipping rather slowly.

While Digitrax may not be as swanky and fancy as some of the other brands, they have always been reliable and incredibly supportive with their products.  The ESU representative really burned a lot of bridges in my area with false statements and poor support for their products, so very few shops will carry them any more.  I only use ESU now when they are the only sound file for a model as I cant afford to spend more on the decoder than the locomotive, and especially can't afford to take the hit if they fail and ESU refuses to support their products.  

That's fair, I don't blame you on that, they basically told me to buy a new decoder as well when the one fried in my P42... But I can't help but like the motor controls and sound files... So have a couple locos with Loksound still. 😅

Granted in HO... 

No worries, sound is nice but for most of my locos I have just basic decoders at the moment.  I'll be upgrading as time and money allow but for now most of my stock is soundless.