Greenmax MOW equipment

Hayashi

Does anyone have any experience with Greenmax's Maintenance of Way equipment such as their Multiple Tie Tamper and Material Wagon (PNs 4709-4713) or Ballast Regulator (PNs 4783-4786)?

Is the detail good?

Are they geared down for low speed operation?

1 hour ago, Hayashi said:

Does anyone have any experience with Greenmax's Maintenance of Way equipment such as their Multiple Tie Tamper and Material Wagon (PNs 4709-4713) or Ballast Regulator (PNs 4783-4786)?

Is the detail good?

Are they geared down for low speed operation?

I have one of each.   I have not really run them more than a couple short test runs.   IIRC they do have a low top end speed.      I have nothing to compare them to but the detail is reasonable. I like them, but I am not an expert.  I have the Daiichi Kensetsu livery pair.

They are decent detail and as chad notes not fast runners so better prototypical speeds. I’ve not played with them crawling or tried a full PWM throttle wirh mine to see if they will creep. They are a very growly mechanism and was going to do some lubing to see if that will quiet them. The big thing is they need a resistor (or better yet a constant current diode) for the interior light as it blazes like a mini sun and bleeds thru plastic and paint. Also a little piece of foil to block the plastic.

if you want mow track equipment these are a few of the only ones out there in N scale unfortunately. Wish there were mo mow!

jeff

Glad to hear they are geared down.

I was concerned about the cab light bleed through from the online photos. Hope there is room for some resistor or diode soldering. Or maybe it would be better to add some additional track-level lights in series to make it more like the prototypes. Jeff, how is your experience with painting over LEDs (I assume it's using LEDs) to dim them down?

Best to just dim with a resistor in my opinion. A current limiting diode chip would get a more constant brightness. I’ve always just powered down leds to tryto get them out of the mini sun range! Painting over them will color the light some. Bit of foil behind the led will help the light bleed thru. Guess white coat would dim some and hopefully not make odd colors. Gallery glass is handy stuff. It’s basically liquid plastic stained glass. You can get opaque or translucent. It’s at a lot of craft stores.

cheers

jeff

On 11/21/2018 at 12:28 PM, Hayashi said:

Glad to hear they are geared down.

I was concerned about the cab light bleed through from the online photos. Hope there is room for some resistor or diode soldering. Or maybe it would be better to add some additional track-level lights in series to make it more like the prototypes. Jeff, how is your experience with painting over LEDs (I assume it's using LEDs) to dim them down?

Hello,

This is a genuine problem with the product.  Shielding the LED may be the best option.