Chance to See a Closed Station near Ueno

VentureForth

This looks awesome and I wish I could get a chance to go see it!  The old Hakubutsukan-Doubutsuen Station on the Keisei line will be open to the public next January and February.  Though it only closed in 1997, it has some pretty impressive architecture.  They way this article sounds, though, makes it seem like it's been closed for 121 years.  lol

https://soranews24.com/2018/11/16/abandoned-subway-station-in-tokyo-open-to-the-public-for-a-limited-time/

• Like 1
2 hours ago, VentureForth said:

It reminds me of City Hall station in NYC, though that one is only viewable if you ride past the end of the line and ride around the loop as the train changes direction.

There are similar stations all around the world. For example both the Paris and the Vienna metro has closed stations that were closed because of their proximity to other, more frequented stations, but trains still pass through them.

In Budapest the remaining part of the old 19th century subway station at Deak square that was relocated due to deep level metro construction was converted into a museum with original subway cars in it. The new station is just behind the wall (and the newer lines under it) and you can access the museum from the main ticket office. (The wooden partition behind the last train with the normally closed door opens to the actual running tunnel.)

I think the historic Keisei station could be opened as small museum (with a glass wall at the platform edge) or even a museum cafe. Imho the cable car power house in San Francisco is a similar kind of operating museum, with the winches still working. I loved that!