Hi-rise models from ebay

EdF

Not yet here, they do look nice though. Very reasonable price for custom models like this on the larger ones. Nice to have exterior wall construction then a removable floors and core so you can easily decorate and light if you want. This is just how I planned on making these kinds of high rises, do the external walls out of clear or tinted acrylic, glue external superstructure on and glue into a box. Then make the core with floors as separate units to stack or slide over the core with spacers so each can have their own lighting easily with wiring up the core.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/N-Scale-1-160-Modern-Science-and-Technology-Building/302626031563?hash=item4675eac7cb:g:tYgAAOSw-3FZAagS

They have been around for a while as posted last year about them.

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/11881-new-modern-buildings/?do=findComment&comment=155947

I’m actually tempted to get one just to see how they do the details. Probably CNC cut as the small building window frames look to have a tiny radius in the corners.

jeff

So I succumbed and picked this one up. It looked interesting and a lot more work to do myself than more regular buildings but was not too wild.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/N-Scale-1-160-Modern-scientific-research-building/302526458068?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

i verified with the seller the floors slip out separate to do detailing and lighting. I’ll review it when I get it.

lets hope it survives shipping.

cheers

jeff

• Like 1

Please post some reviews guys, when you get your models built. I'm very interested in these buildings. I've got a few things already waiting to be built, so Ill wait on buying for now.

Just now, cteno4 said:

The big ones are aready built. Hence why I’m wondering how well they survive the shipping...

jeff

Nice. But you'll have to take them apart to light them and put little researchers inside.

Yes they take time to build and a lot of material along with a CNC cutter! Looks like they cut out a few dozen at once, so I’m sure they have it down to assemble fast and inexpensive labor for assembly. We shall see.

jeff

So this showed up today. I am impressed! It’s very well done and the diagonal structure could only really be done with a CNC cutter or large 3D printing. It’s built very nicely with very good tolerances all around. Inside floors slip out (very nice fit) and the elevator core in the center is open all the way up for easy wiring for lighting on each floor. It was a splurge at $90, but it is a very nice and unique model. I would not want to think about scratch building by hand with this design. Looking at these makes me realize how useful a CNC micro router could be, but they ain’t cheap. It could be done with a decent extrusion printer but would need to be a larger one.

Now noodling on the lighting system. Each floor can have a heavy art paper floor to mount desks and such on and pop in then.

defintiely a nice building and unique without being too wild!

cheers

jeff

• Like 1

Yes , just over 2 weeks. it also came very well packed as well. These guys are professional model makers and I expect know how to pack things to survive as it was not just bundled in bubble wrap but used those inflatable tube wrap that you wrap and then inflate. At first I thought it might have been too turgid, but it turned out to be fine and makes a super great bumper.

jeff

Have you thought about how to light it?  I'm thinking I'd like to do something powered by AA batteries, so I just just put the building wherever, since it's for T-Trak.

the elevator core can house battery packs. its like 1"x3" in cross section.

i am thinking i want to figure out a pad with a few smdleds tuned way down to simulate ceiling florescent (now leds) and hide the wires (most important)

the one issue is that the floors are a bit short for modern buildings so there is not a lot of vertical room for the usual 1-2' chaseway for lighting, ventilation, etc.

cheers

jeff