Jump to content
bluejeans

Train Simulators

Recommended Posts

bluejeans

I've heard of one before, can't remember the name, the series has been going for a few decades but seems to only be in Japanese.

Share this post


Link to post
Densha

I have moved your topic to the appropriate forum. Please also do some research yourself before posting, as typing in "train sim japan" on Google already answers your question.

Share this post


Link to post
Socimi
1 hour ago, bluejeans said:

I've heard of one before, can't remember the name, the series has been going for a few decades but seems to only be in Japanese.

 

Densha de GO!

Share this post


Link to post
bluejeans

Am interested in basically anything that covers lines that aren't hundreds of kilometres long.  Am currently liking the pacific surfliner under train sim 2019 (though I have a version with only that track) - not really interested in Amtrak but in that sim it's basically the same thing as the L.A Metrolink San Diego - Union Station run.

Share this post


Link to post
bluejeans

As in, the longest you can drive in one sitting (without having to reload to drive the next section, etc)

Share this post


Link to post
kvp

I don't know all software, but some versions of Densha De Go allows you to drive the whole Yamanote line in one go or even the Sanyo shinkansen. In many versions if a reload is done, it's done at a station stop, so the gameplay is not really affected. You can go through the whole London Victoria to Brighton route in Train Simulator and there is an option for the non stop service of around 1 hour continous running. It's especially hard to keep the time with the underpowered older stock. I'm pretty sure there are longer continous routes though.

Share this post


Link to post
IST

There is / was a BVE route from Edinburgh to Aberdeen with 2,5-3 hours driving time if I remember well. I think this was the longest route what I have ever driven on computer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
bluejeans
23 hours ago, IST said:

There is / was a BVE route from Edinburgh to Aberdeen with 2,5-3 hours driving time if I remember well. I think this was the longest route what I have ever driven on computer.

 

Which simulator was that?  Also the pacific surfliner takes 3 hours going by the timetable, I imagine that's pretty up there by distance?

Edited by bluejeans

Share this post


Link to post
IST
3 hours ago, bluejeans said:

 

Which simulator was that?  Also the pacific surfliner takes 3 hours going by the timetable, I imagine that's pretty up there by distance?

 

BVE. Or Boso View Express if you would like to know the full name, but everybody known as BVE. Nowadays it is somewhat replaced by OpenBVE.

Share this post


Link to post
bluejeans
19 hours ago, IST said:

 

BVE. Or Boso View Express if you would like to know the full name, but everybody known as BVE. Nowadays it is somewhat replaced by OpenBVE.

 

OpenBVE is pretty light (20mb install size) I'm guessing you still need files from a BVE install?

Share this post


Link to post
bluejeans

I just want to traverse long tracks without worrying about derailing due to not changing tracks in time.  When it's only a toggle between the two of them it can be confusing that there's no visual feedback that they changed, and also being able to see ahead enough that the track you switch onto doesn't have a loco already on, or is end of the line.  I honestly just look out the window all the time so even a derailment-free option (since I speed) would be great.

Share this post


Link to post
kvp
2 hours ago, bluejeans said:

I just want to traverse long tracks without worrying about derailing due to not changing tracks in time.  When it's only a toggle between the two of them it can be confusing that there's no visual feedback that they changed, and also being able to see ahead enough that the track you switch onto doesn't have a loco already on, or is end of the line.  I honestly just look out the window all the time so even a derailment-free option (since I speed) would be great.

On a proper railroad simulator the train driver does not control the turnouts, that's the job of the tower operator. Manual turnout control is only required in some rare cases, like a switching freight, but in those cases the locomotive must come to a full stop so the crew could get out and throw the turnouts. The train driver usually just have to keep the speed limits and the timetable and for passenger service, hit the right stopping locations without excessive braking.

 

For a derailment free ride, i would suggest a monorail simulator as they are known to be unable to derail due to excessive speeding. Otherwise train simulators simulate derailing on overspeed. I don't know any simulator software that has the option to disable this, but maybe there is one out there that allows disabling overspeed derailments and collisions.

Edited by kvp

Share this post


Link to post
Waisneed
35 minutes ago, kvp said:

For a derailment free ride, i would suggest a monorail simulator as they are known to be unable to derail due to excessive speeding. Otherwise train simulators simulate derailing on overspeed. I don't know any simulator software that has the option to disable this, but maybe there is one out there that allows disabling overspeed derailments and collisions.

 

The good old Microsoft Train Simulator has an option to disable derailments due to overspeed.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
westfalen

Here is a trip I did in Run8 from Seligman, Arizona to Los Angeles Union Station, about 470 miles. The video is sped up by 1000% but still takes 50 minutes, in real time it took 8 and a half hours. I let the computer drive the train while I did other things so I could get the whole run in one session without saving, I do shifts that long in real life but they pay me for that.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
bluejeans
On 11/15/2018 at 4:18 PM, westfalen said:

Here is a trip I did in Run8 from Seligman, Arizona to Los Angeles Union Station, about 470 miles. The video is sped up by 1000% but still takes 50 minutes, in real time it took 8 and a half hours. I let the computer drive the train while I did other things so I could get the whole run in one session without saving, I do shifts that long in real life but they pay me for that.

 

 

 

Which packs do you have for that one?  Also it sounds like the only sim where you can let the computer control everything?

 

EDIT: Bought the sim and was wondering how I start cpu control?  Not only do I not really want to drive the train, I want to skip the intimidating instructions for just getting the train moving.

Edited by bluejeans

Share this post


Link to post
bluejeans

Another poster uploaded an 8 hour video of a run and mentioned it was under cpu control, how do you do this?  Also when manual running my train grinds to a halt after a while (both at red signals) do I have to change these in the master train board, or radio in to get permission to go ahead?

 

Also I can't adjust the throttle or brake, I drag the handle with the mouse but nothing happens (sometimes they erratically flip but then flip back)

Edited by bluejeans

Share this post


Link to post
westfalen

I currently have all the route expansion packs for the South West US region. To run from Seligman to LA you need the original built-in Mojave and Needles Subs (which gives you Bakersfield to Barstow and on to Needles, quite a run in itself) and the add-on Seligman, Cajon and San Bernardino Subs.

 

Run8 does have a bit of a learning curve but once you've got the hang of it and see how much they have built into it you realise why. Rather than write a lengthy post the 'UserGuide' folder has several useful pdf files with the one titled 'Interacting With A.I.Trains' being the one that should be most useful to you at this stage. When you open one of the supplied scenarios there are usually several AI controlled trains already on the route with more being spawned at various points as time progresses.

 

A good place to find out more is https://www.thedepotserver.com/.

There are excellent route maps and other info that you don't need to join up to access but their forum (which is a separate sign on from the multi player server) is worth joining as they are a friendly bunch willing to answer newcomers questions.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
westfalen

Sounds like you might have the train handling setting in the F1 options screen set to 'High Seniority Hogger' mode which activates the alerter in the locomotive which could be what is stopping the train or your train has split in two and the brakes have gone into emergency, if set to 'Piglet/Foamer' it is deactivated and train handling is made easier because the breaking strength of the couplers is increased. You do have to go into the F3 screen to set your route and that of other trains because you're wearing the dispatcher's hat as well as the engineer's.

 

The reason you can't adjust the controls with the mouse is because you can't, you have to use the keyboard.

 

It takes a bit of reading to get through all those pdf files that install in the 'UserGuide' folder (I have 22 of them so far) but it's worth ploughing through them.

Edited by westfalen

Share this post


Link to post
bluejeans
On 11/20/2018 at 7:04 PM, westfalen said:

I currently have all the route expansion packs for the South West US region. To run from Seligman to LA you need the original built-in Mojave and Needles Subs (which gives you Bakersfield to Barstow and on to Needles, quite a run in itself) and the add-on Seligman, Cajon and San Bernardino Subs.

 

Run8 does have a bit of a learning curve but once you've got the hang of it and see how much they have built into it you realise why. Rather than write a lengthy post the 'UserGuide' folder has several useful pdf files with the one titled 'Interacting With A.I.Trains' being the one that should be most useful to you at this stage. When you open one of the supplied scenarios there are usually several AI controlled trains already on the route with more being spawned at various points as time progresses.

 

A good place to find out more is https://www.thedepotserver.com/.

There are excellent route maps and other info that you don't need to join up to access but their forum (which is a separate sign on from the multi player server) is worth joining as they are a friendly bunch willing to answer newcomers questions.

 

I don't have a userguide folder but do have "manual of instruction" - same thing?

 

In the spawn menu, how can I tell what's a locomotive and what isn't?

 

Oh and is it possible to spawn at L.A union station?  I thought it would be actually mentioned if it was a terminus on a pack.  I haven't seen it mentioned on the F3 board either.

Edited by bluejeans

Share this post


Link to post
westfalen
17 hours ago, bluejeans said:

 

I don't have a userguide folder but do have "manual of instruction" - same thing?

 

In the spawn menu, how can I tell what's a locomotive and what isn't?

 

Oh and is it possible to spawn at L.A union station?  I thought it would be actually mentioned if it was a terminus on a pack.  I haven't seen it mentioned on the F3 board either.

That's curious, when Run8 installs it creates a sub folder called 'UserGuide' into which it places all the manuals for the basic install and subsequent route and rolling stock add ons. This is what mine looks like. As I say there is a lot of reading there but it is worth it.

Folder1.thumb.JPG.148af41ff88b7645365d7b698efd345b.JPG

 

The AI Status menu shows what AI trains are in your currently running world, clicking on the transport button will take you to that train.

948845187_AIstatus.thumb.JPG.a06434aec003a7bceacb2c2aed8c6197.JPG

 

You won't see LA Union Station unless you have the San Bernardino Sub route add on, if you do it will show up on the F3 dispatcher screen and as an AI spawn point.F3.thumb.JPG.1514287ff454e1795b045c6c29485daf.JPGAI1.thumb.JPG.5c7381258cb94308a41a982545e15c42.JPG

 

As I mentioned Run8 has a steeper learning curve than most other train simulators because it hasn't been dumbed down for computer gamers but is aimed at those wanting to simulate prototypical railroad operations and train running. I've had it for a couple of years and am still finding new things I can do.

Share this post


Link to post
bluejeans

I was disappointed to find that you have to go through tutorials and scenarios in order to free drive with this game.  It has a lot of different tracks though (and an install size of 65gb!)

Share this post


Link to post
bluejeans
On 11/22/2018 at 1:47 AM, westfalen said:

That's curious, when Run8 installs it creates a sub folder called 'UserGuide' into which it places all the manuals for the basic install and subsequent route and rolling stock add ons. This is what mine looks like. As I say there is a lot of reading there but it is worth it.

Folder1.thumb.JPG.148af41ff88b7645365d7b698efd345b.JPG

 

The AI Status menu shows what AI trains are in your currently running world, clicking on the transport button will take you to that train.

 

 

You won't see LA Union Station unless you have the San Bernardino Sub route add on, if you do it will show up on the F3 dispatcher screen and as an AI spawn point.

 

As I mentioned Run8 has a steeper learning curve than most other train simulators because it hasn't been dumbed down for computer gamers but is aimed at those wanting to simulate prototypical railroad operations and train running. I've had it for a couple of years and am still finding new things I can do.

 

I was sure I had all addons, seems like I only have the v1 addons.  That would explain not having pdf help files in the same location too.  What's the key to get to the AI status menu?  My key chart doesn't list it.

Edited by cteno4
Long quote

Share this post


Link to post
bluejeans

Steam decided to be nice seeing I'm visiting a CIS country and only wants like $3USD for route addons (including the fall sale price) - I want some that are mixed city/suburb and scenic - not rural/desolate all the way.  100% city is ok too I guess but prefer mixed.  I bought the U.S pack since it included Miami-Palm Beach, and figured SLC/soldier summit might be good too (northeast corridor also).  The many British routes don't interest me much since I live somewhere that looks very British in the countryside.  Not being a real sim fanatic (just want to look out the window!) I can't justify the cost of routes at non-sale price (unless they're extremely good or long!)

 

Oh yeah, routes that take at least an hour non-stop that meet the above parameters are strongly preferred.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
kvp
2 hours ago, bluejeans said:

Not being a real sim fanatic (just want to look out the window!)

I would recommend you to get a few cab ride videos. Completly automatic driving experience and realistic (actual real) scenery. There are some great japanese, american and even european ones on the net. Imho they beat all sims in visual quality...

Share this post


Link to post
Kiha66

The Sacramento Northern line  for train simulator 19 is well worth the price.  Lots of fun running from SF over the bay bridge, then through Oakland then a bit of rural north bay till you hit the Sacramento river.  Comes with both trolleys and freight motors too, so a nice variety of new rolling stock to drive. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×