Wooden Custom KiHa - what to do with it.

BenjiKiHa

Hi, am making this post as I've been wondering what I could do with this custom KiHa made for toy train track (i.e. Brio, Imaginarium, Thomas Wooden Railway). A little back story: a little while before I had made my first post I was set on making my aforementioned station diorama using old generic-branded wooden track where I had made the custom wooden Japanese train shown below. Now that I'm fully interested in creating a breifcase N scale layout - I'm pondering what to do with this as I don't just want to throw it away, you know? I was thinking of trying to fit a small wooden loop on/around my N scale one...perhaps one side of the case could be the wooden track and the other could be N-gauge? Wooden track with usage of model railway techniques around it (i.e ballast, realistic trees, etc.) I'd like your guys' input as well - many thanks if you would. 🙂

CUstom KiHa.JPG

• Like 2

Makes me wish I still had my wooden railway from when I was a kid!  Making a small realistic layout using the wooden track is an interesting idea, there was a small exhibition of something similar at last years JAM.  They used playrail for their setup but wooden track would work just as well, and be a fun learning layout too!

Nice!

If you decide to let it go I know a father and 1.4 year old son that would love it and I’d buy for them.

cheers

jeff

• Haha 1
46 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Makes me wish I still had my wooden railway from when I was a kid!  Making a small realistic layout using the wooden track is an interesting idea, there was a small exhibition of something similar at last years JAM.  They used playrail for their setup but wooden track would work just as well, and be a fun learning layout too!

I hope you don't mind me asking, but what's JAM? 

No worries, ask away!  JAM stands for Japan Area Modelers (iirc) who put on the International Railway Model Convention in Tokyo every summer.  Its the largest modeling convention in Japan certainly, and possibly one of the larger ones in the world.  Heres a photo of their most recent convention this last summer.

Heres the little layout I was talking about, little wind up toy trains but in a realistic looking setting!  
41421640_293464338139419_860558935764194

Edited by Kiha66
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

No worries, ask away!  JAM stands for Japan Area Modelers (iirc) who put on the International Railway Model Convention in Tokyo every summer.  Its the largest modeling convention in Japan certainly, and possibly one of the larger ones in the world.  Heres a photo of their most recent convention this last summer.

Heres the little layout I was talking about, little wind up toy trains but in a realistic looking setting!  
41421640_293464338139419_860558935764194

Ah Capsule Plarail, I mostly know of the things due to it's Thomas the Tank Engine line. 😄 It looks hella cute - perhaps I'll stick with wooden railway track and do something similar, thanks for showing me this. It actually reminds me of something similar someone did with the standard Plarail line. (I was originally going to give you one or two but I couldn't help myself - it just looks so cool!)

Plarail Realism 1.jpg

Plarail Realism 2.jpg

Plarail Realism 3.jpg

Plaril Realism 4.jpg

• Like 2

Hi, been a while hasn't it?

Today marks my first day of Winter Break and have finally chose what I'd like my wooden train layout to look like (pictured below). I'd now like some advice on what I'll want to do first (gluing the track down, or putting scenic grass and such down, etc.) I'm sorry if I'm come off as demanding or anything similar, not my intention at all. I'm just asking how I'll want to tart putting this all together and get it off of my desk asap because I'm itching to place my laptop in the spot where my layout currently sits. (I want to be able to set it on it's side without having any grass falling off and getting all over the carpet). 

Best,

Benji. 

JNS Post.JPG

• Like 1

Looks like you're off to a good start!  I'd recommend securing the track first (white glue will work fine) then taping over the track to keep it clean while you do the scenery.