Emergency Train Protection

yakumo381

I assume he means the rooftop flares.  It's a neat idea that seems to have come from the early JNR days.  Even modern EMU stock still have them installed. 

4 minutes ago, katoftw said:

What? The horn/whistle?

How about the big cloud of white smoke that's generated and the flame above the cab roof just above the centre of the windscreen....? I presume the pyrotechnic device situated there is also the source of the high pitched whistle rather than the conventional loco whistle.

2 hours ago, yakumo381 said:

How about the big cloud of white smoke that's generated and the flame above the cab roof just above the centre of the windscreen....? I presume the pyrotechnic device situated there is also the source of the high pitched whistle rather than the conventional loco whistle.

Oh?  I thought you were using a play on words with the reference to the term pyrotechnic device. Sorry.

Train Protection for when a train goes through a incorrect signal or the signals fail would probably set this off to warn other train in the area that said train may be on the incorrect track.  So whistle for audible and flare for visual.

I guess getting this on video would be rarer than seeing a Dr Yellow.

Edited by katoftw

Wasn't the whistle activated by the emergency dump valve on the main trainline? I'm thinking this because it stops before the flare runs out. Afaik the normal procedure would be to dump air and set the flare off. The flare seems to be a leftover technology before electric headlamps became standard. It's certainly simple and cheap enough to be kept around.

Interesting safety concept from the old days. Pretty loud and quite visible, too. Would have been interesting to see how bright it is at night.

On 11/7/2018 at 7:30 AM, yakumo381 said:

I think what we’re hearing is the normal loco whistle.