Japan 2019

serotta1972

I am planning on adding a day of cycling on the Shimanami Kaido bike route.  Been reading up on it and watching youtube videos, and it looks amazing.  I'm getting tired of riding across the Golden Gate Bridge, need new bridges to cross. 🙂  Anyone done it or know anyone that has.  Going to look for a group ride as that would be more fun but can do it alone if necessary.  

• Like 4

Serotta,

I haven't been on the route, but just in case you haven't seen these links:

The first two look like the most info in the shortest time.  This is my favorite part of Japan, if you do this I hope you have a great time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I booked a room at the Green Hill Hotel in Onomichi so I can start the ride early and hope to be done by mid afternoon then hop on a train on the Yosan Line.  Thank you for the links, I really appreciate it.

Edited by serotta1972
  • Like 1

Wow, I've never heard of this route before but it sounds like a whole lot of fun!  Definitely something I'll have to look into when I get to go back to Japan myself.

• Like 1

Hi @railsquid - can you share the location of that overpass where you and squidlet hang out and watched the Super Azusa go by.  I want to do a little more rail fanning around the Tokyo area on my upcoming trip so if anyone else know of other locations that are easily accessible, please share.  Also, where is that pedestrian crossing that crosses over like 6 or 8 tracks? It'll be great if those spots affords viewing of different lines and types of trains.  Thank you, Junior

• Like 1

Sure - Mitaka bridge is here: https://goo.gl/maps/aNBZsoHd1rR2 (Google maps link) - I recommend leaving Mitaka Station from the south side and following the road which runs next to the tracks; you'll get a better view of the trains and it's easier than the route via the north side.

(Note you only have a couple more weeks to see "Super" Azusa as the "Super" prefix is being dropped).

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you want to watch trains, I would suggest also trying the north end of Uguisudani station platforms, from which there is a clear view across ten parallel tracks with seven different services passing by.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Space Beaver, this is perfect as it's one station away from Ueno Station where I will be staying nearby.  This might a good a place to go hangout after a long day of riding trains. 🙂

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 7:52 AM, JR 500系 said:

😛

Have you rode on the E4? If not, you need to... their scrapping is coming up pretty fast...

Don't get me started on scrapped train sets. That's about as depressing as losing the 100 series double decker. 

---

See if you can catch some lines scheduled for abandonment like in Hokkaido to Wakkanai. I hate seeing rail lines abandoned anywhere. The Nagano Shinkansen wiped out a good chunk of the Chuo line in the most scenic area (though an operational nightmare requiring helper locos over some tough grades).  

Edited by VentureForth
16 hours ago, VentureForth said:

Nagano Shinkansen wiped out a good chunk of the Chuo line in the most scenic area (though an operational nightmare requiring helper locos though some tough grades).  

Do you mean the Shinetsu line over Usui?  Only 11 km was cut out (the section with EF63 banking locos)  although the lines on either side has become third sector iirc.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Do you mean the Shinetsu line over Usui?  Only 11 km was cut out (the section with EF63 banking locos)  although the lines on either side has become third sector iirc.

The eastern section from Yokogawa to Takasaki is still in JR East hands, and is still the "Shin'etsu Honsen" (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin'etsu_Main_Line).

The Chuo line is doing just fine 🙂

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Probably.

It's been 28 years since I've lived there.  :D

Thank you for all the rail fanning location suggestions, I really appreciate it.  I was searching the forum if there are any topics on rail fanning or train spotting locations and was unable to find any so I will start a new topic.  I will then add what's already been shared.

• Thanks 1
serotta1972

I never thought I would be going back to Japan and be able to use my Akita Suica card holder that I purchased as a souvenir from my last trip.  Got my 7 Day Green Rail Pass, I had to sacrifice some train purchases so I can fund this trip. 🙂 I think it's a good trade-off.  

IMG_7597.thumb.jpg.56bf886f0fa844e6c494a264342c2b20.jpg

• Like 8

Excitement builds! Nice! And yes it will surely be worth it! Just remember to have the same discipline once there ~ (though that would be like 10x harder haha) 

Have fun mate! 

serotta1972

Today I rode the E353 from Shinjuku to Matsumoto and then later in the day I went to visit Nariichi.  I picked up the Kato E353 and then went to a layout rental place and ran it.  It was a pretty awesome day!  Thank you Nariichi for taking me to the layout rental place, pretty cool to see something I've been watching on YouTube and actually running your own trains on it.

IMG_8334.jpg

IMG_8332.jpg

IMG_8175.jpg

IMG_8172.jpg

• Like 10

Wow that must be great fun! It's so nice to be able to ride, feel and then buy the model!  🙂

Bet the E353 is your new favourite now eh?  😛

• Like 2