Shapeways/TT Trams RhB kits

Welshbloke

I've been eyeballing the 3D printed body kits TT Trams are offering through Shapeways, particularly the EWIV coaches and the Fac bogie hopper wagons. Has anyone here ordered and built one, and if so what did you do about bogies for it? The Kato EWI or Glacier ones would be obvious but they're out of stock pretty much everywhere. The main problem is that standard gauge N bogies have much larger wheels and would lift the coach too much.

Be aware there are changes coming to Shapeways effective October 22, 2018.

https://mailchi.mp/573e6a2ff9b5/pricing-changes-more-details?e=7c23f6b2d7

I find many models on Shapeways are expensive because of all the addons you need or want. I  have ordered tram bodies in the past. I find many times they do not turn out as good as the photos on the web site. Many models have never actually been produced or what you get can be hit and miss.I had one tram body arrive with a noticeable warp to the inside on one side. I sent a photo of the result to Shapeways and they produced a replacement. Still the sides are not 100% straight on the replacement.

IMG_5607.JPG

Edited by bill937ca
  • Thanks 1

Ah, that's not good! I asked as a friend recently had some 4mm scale Great Central coach parts from there which came out well. I haven't seen any photos of the EWIV stock built from these kits but was hoping someone else might have taken the plunge. They are somewhat expensive at £34 for the highest quality version, but I'd accept that if they were a known quantity.

shapeway's frosted plastic outside appearance aren't always smooth. i have received one with noticeable stripes.

no idea for the new black acrylate.