US to withdraw from Universal Postal Union

bill937ca

On 9/3/2023 at 3:23 PM, bill937ca said:

Why it's so much cheaper to ship stuff from China than within Canada

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/costofliving/shipping-canada-china-1.6950967

Covid restrictions aren't the only reasons items from Japan are no longer cheap to ship. Blame somebody with a bad hairdo.

That's what you got out of that article?  I got that China, a major economic super power, gets basically free mail service from the rest of the world.  In no way shape or form is China a developing country on par with Zimbabwe or Sri Lanka or any other small country that couldn't afford to offset costs.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the non-unionized cheap Chinese labor that runs their system is cheaper than the (presumably unionized) Canada Post or USPS employees and that all those trucks and the airplanes and stuff need expensive gas and stuff as well to get delivered.

Instead of the taxpayer subsidizing the post office, the attempt is to get the postal service to be revenue neutral and support itself.  It sucks that it's expensive to ship stuff, but everything is expensive.  The real solution  is to make China pay the rich country fees for their excess of outgoing mail.

So, I'm not sure how you can blame bad haircuts for something that has its roots in the late 1800s.

It’s a very complex thing that has a lot of variables.

please let’s keep the politics out of this we do t want to decend into that here.

thanks

jeff

• Like 1