Help identifying this Tomix set

nscalestation

nscalestation

Hi all,

We have well over 1,000 items of Japanese N scale entered into the Trovestar N scale database now and we have a Tomix set we are trying to enter that we can't quite identify.  It's a 100 series Shinkansen set with some track included.   I have included a couple of photos.  What we are trying to figure out is a model number, date of release, original MSRP, and if this was some sort of special issue set.

Thanks

Tomix100b.jpg

Tomix100a.jpg

Could you post a better picture of the silver writing on the box? It's kinda hard to read with the reflection/glare, but could help with identification.

nscalestation

Right, here is another photo showing the writing without glare.  Hopefully this can provide a clue.  I am asking the person who sent me these photos to see if he can scan the instructions there would not be a glare issue.   Thanks !

Tomix100c.jpg

The colour of the track roadbed and the style of the box put the date before 1990. Because both the box and brochure only show the railway company name and logo (JR Tokai), and not the Tomix name, suggests it is a souvenir/commemorative issue for the company and not a general release set. JR Tokai would probably have sold it at station shops. More than that I can’t say.

Actually that would put it between the end of JNR (1987) and the 1990ies. Probably near the end of the green controller era, as the instructions show one on the left.

The model itself is Tomix 92039, their second 100 series release after the JNR branded X-0 prototype one from 1986. 

It was released in 1987 as a 7 car set and ran until 1990 when it was improved and re-released. The one shown in this thread has one car removed to accommodate the track pieces.

Also, add-on cars were first released in 1990 as well, before that it was not possible to build an authentic 16 car formation without ripping apart several base sets.

As Tanuki stated, this was likely a JR shop item or a giveaway at an event.

• Like 1

Hi Brad,

(sorry if my reply is soo much delayed but I was "busy")

for those who likes history and confirm the exact things already said...

your set is nothing strange, is a simple re-pack of the original 92039 (116 type car removed), but specifically on sale in the train station shops (like Tanuki said) from 1987 till 1989 (blue cardbord bookcase)
during 1989 Tomix released a new code 92613 but changed only the bookcase from cardboard to grey plastic (old version), and also a similar re-pack was on-sale in train station shops (I have one of this, same cars, pamphlet and straight track like yours but new bookcase)

in 1991 the 92613 change to 92624 and that's the first real improvement, the motor car (2822) with the new motor below the windows line, the old one (2821) have like a convex 凸  visible thru the windows in the middle of the car)
In train station shop, Shinkansen 100 has been replaced from 1992 by the new Nozomi Shinkansen 300, but not shortened, normal 7 cars set plus straight track (brown ballast) for display it and a particular package but with the same standard dimensions.

like Suica said, single cars was available from 1989 (probably before, but there is a 1987/8 hole in my catalog collection) , but not the correct cars to complete a 16 cars formation (125-500 and 125-700 has been released only with "Sayonara 100" set and the new X-G improved version, uncompatible whit the old and released like set, not single)

note: hard to find whitout typical Tomix defect (yellowed nose and ends, to store in the dark), yours seems like new! compliments!

I hope this help and sorry, I wrote too much 🙁

ciao

Massimo

Side question, but is trovestar trying to be an n scale database for everything ever made in n scale? Or did it just add a japanese section? Since I can't find my stuff on the website.