Kato KIHA81 announced.

marknewton

Kato have announced a model of the mesmerisingly weird KIHA81 DMU for release early next year. I suppose I'll get one to run with the Kato KIHA82 series cars I already have, which are very nice models.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10565185

https://www.1999.co.jp/itbig56/10565185b.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by cteno4
Photo embed

Cheers Mark

I’ve pre-ordered a 4 car Kiha 82 set and a couple of Kiha 81s. I blame you of course for your pictures of your Tomix 181. I hope to get some additional Kiro and Kiha and a KiShi coach in the following months. I’ve also been bitten by the Tomix EF71 release to perhaps have a Tsubasa formation. I hope these don’t sell through before payday.

• Haha 1

This DMU with キハ81 will make next spring quite expensive.

I am looking for this train since my interest in JNR started.

Where should I preorder this DMU?

At 1999?

I am afraid they will ship every item separately as the items might not be delivered in one or two shipments from KATO.

1999 says they ship more or less immediately when a preordered item is available.

Waiting for キハ81 and the rest of this DMU here from a German shop might fail or make it quite expensive.

There is an option for monthly shipment per order. This means if you recombine your orders into one, then everything that gets released in the same month will be shipped in one package.

So it might work with approx. three shipments 🙄

This opinion is guided by my experience of precise working of scheduling forecasts ...

I think 1999 will deliver for sure when ordered now.

I don't trust the German shops to have all items available.

Now I am about to make reservation of キハ80 items.

My room available does not allow to have trains in prototypical length.

To enjoy the variety of several designs most of my train in display case are "shortys".

I try to make these consists as prototypical as possible.

Mostly leaving off some of multiple cars of identical design.

Are the consist suggestions from Kato or Tomix the only "valid" consists?

Did every キハ80 consist have a キシ80?

How many キハ82 (キハ82-900) could be within a consist (not leading or at the rear end)?

Cab cars with in a consist are great (in my opinion).

THX in advance!

Edited by al camino
changed to Katakana

As far as I know the consists shown by Kato and Tomix are just typical consists for a given line or period. Judging by photos and video I’ve seen, almost any combination of cars was possible within DMU consists.

Cheers,

Mark.

Kato and tomix consists are just suggestions for typical train makeups.  As long as each end has a cab, JNR mostly could mix and match to fill the train.  The earlier years would have the train be more consistent while in later years more variation would be seen.  Not all services had diner cars, although usually longer services would have them.  Bonnet style cab cars would rarely be seen mid consist (but it did happen) while the through door cab cars would regularly be found mixed in mid train.  I have seen photos of up to two mid train kiha 82s, although I'm sure more could have happened.

THX.

My suspect is that the model producing companies tend to propose longer consists.

Shortys do not have the desired effect of large turnover 🙂

Therefore any hints and thoughts off business are welcome.

Bonnet style within the consist "(but it did happen)" was an important hint to me.

I didn't dare to go for this but now ... !

I have to increase the reservation to 3* キハ81 - yeah!

Ehrrrr - my wallet will receive some stress next spring. Tomix announced a re-release of クモニ83 (T) and (M) 😧

Will a クモニ83 consist of 3 cars be prototypical? I've only noticed 2 of them or coupled with 115s eries.

Edited by al camino
add commercial item and クモニ83

The Kato and Tomix Kiha 80 formation suggestions tend to be the more well known expresses like the Hatsukari, Kuroshio or Tsubasa. I guess these trains have a broader range of nostalgic appeal rather than a money grabbing exercise to get people to buy long consists.

I must admit, I wasn’t aware that the 81s appeared mid consist on occasion so, that’s a new one on me.

But yeah, March/April will be a little pricey but I’ve got 2x 82s and 2x81s on order so it gives a variety of setups to get your money’s worth.

I copy this.

For German Railroads a train like Rheingold is more prominent than for example the TEE-Shorty Bavaria (2 DB coaches, 1 SBB diner) or Merkur (only 2 DB coaches) of the late 70ies.

I'm fiddeling with Excel to find a golden route in between wishes and possibilities (size of display case and volume of wallet).

Imho it's easier with layout constraints, but those get stretched. Originally i started out with 4 car sets, went up to 5 and 6 as a platform length limit on my stations. Now i have a few 7 car sets...

For kiha82's i've seen them on photos mid train with either two facing each other for sub consists or one facing the normal end of a booster set. If you have two 81 cabs and two 82 cabs with a few cabless cars, it's possible to build all variants of mid train couplings.

After a lot of waiting, these look to be released around April 25th 2019.

I’m sure Kato will do a great job on them. Have seen very little on the production samples so fingers crossed.

• Like 1

I guess same as the Kiha 82 cab ends. Can’t quite work out whether they’ve added a knuckle coupler or if it’s the same as the other Kihas.

Looks like they come with the tightlock like the other kiha's, but I'm sure kato will include a normal knuckle as an optional part as well.

Anyone know the best way to attach these? They’re not the usual rub on dry transfers but a very thin filmed sticker.

078544B2-15B2-4AC7-AFB1-BF72D0B74D98.jpeg

For my n-gauge stickers I cut to size, pick up with the point of a blade and use a wooden toothpick to press onto the required place.

I tested out the Kato logo just to see what they were. They have a sticky film as a top layer and then each is a very thin adhesive sticker which seem easy to split. They seem not to attach to the top transparent layer but to the backing paper. 

I’m wondering whether you’re supposed to rub the sticker onto the top layer and then rub again off onto the model.

• Confused 1
On 4/24/2019 at 11:32 PM, Kamome said:

Anyone know the best way to attach these? They’re not the usual rub on dry transfers but a very thin filmed sticker.

078544B2-15B2-4AC7-AFB1-BF72D0B74D98.jpeg

In spite of appearances, they are rub-on dry transfers. They’re similar to other lettering sheets in Kato models such as the Yo5000 brakevans. Instead of the individual numbers or letters being separately printed on the sheet, the numbers are grouped on an adhesive film or backing piece. I think the reason is that these markings are meant to be applied to the ends of the cars where it might be more difficult to align or position them in the usual manner using tape. 

If you look at the sheet at an angle you can see the edge of the film or backing. (The edges are visible in your photo.)I cut well away from the edge, usually a rectangular section of the sheet. I then position this rectangle where it’s intended to go and then rub the marking on using a stylus like conventional dry transfers. Because it’s slightly tacky the rectangle usually doesn’t move when being rubbed. 

Hope this helps,

Mark.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Mark

They threw me a little as the Kiha 58 just came with the standard dry rub transfers. I much prefer these as they stay as one transfer. The standard dry rub numbers for the 58 cab front were horrendous to apply and these were much easier.

As an update on the thread topic, Ami Ami have just taken payment for my 81s but I’ve not yet had a dispatch/delivery tracking email so hopefully I’ll receive the units soon and post some pics.

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 1

Interesting, did you have the units pre-orderd?  I was waiting for them to arrive but as soon as they did they went from pre-order closed to sold out, no chance to pick one up otherwise.  I'm disappointed, I wasn't expecting kato to try to make this an exclusive item.

Edit:  Narichi San may have come to my rescue!

Edited by Kiha66
6 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Interesting, did you have the units pre-orderd?  I was waiting for them to arrive but as soon as they did they went from pre-order closed to sold out, no chance to pick one up otherwise.  I'm disappointed, I wasn't expecting kato to try to make this an exclusive item.

Edit:  Narichi San may have come to my rescue!

Yes I preordered them as I thought they’d be popular. ¥13,000 for 2 is pretty good compared to the prices of Tenshodo and KTM which are the only other options in HO. Already I’ve seen sellers asking ¥25000 for 2 on Yahoo Auctions so I hope Nariichi comes through for you. Even Kato’s online shop has sold out. Not to say they won’t do a re-run if popularity is there. Noticed they’re already doing another run of Kiha 58s with an added starter set to boot. Might be tempted to lengthen my train.

My local hobby shop “Fukuya” ordered me the KiShi 80 restaurant car which apparently were in short supply too. Looks like Kato only have 2 of these left.

Ami Ami are particularly bad at stocking anything train related for long before being sold out. I guess they’re not really a train model retailer so only order confirmed sales to avoid dead stock. The HO Tomix Koki 104 and Seino containers preorders closed before I could get an order in so I’ll check at my local places or possibly Tam Tam when they’re released.

Since writing my last post, I’ve had a tracking parcel email from Sagawa. My Kihas are possibly on the Super Rail Cargo hurtling out of Tokyo as I write this. Can’t wait to have a look at them. Found a great video on YouTube too.

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well finally received my 81s after a few days away for Golden Week.

I must say they look better than I had hoped. Really nice finish, crisp paintwork, so really am chuffed.  Not that I would expect anything less from Kato.

They will need a little bit of further detailing, just to bring out some of the small details as well as making the generic plastic seats look a bit move like the prototype. They're fine models on their own but a little bit of paint here and there would make them look that little bit better.

The coupler cover is a nice touch as well as the removable bonnet. The coupler does connect with the regular Kiha type couplers as well as the Kadee #58s so not worries connecting the EF71.

A couple of words of warning for those getting some. There are no spare grab irons so make sure none ping anywhere. All attach to the bonnet and because it can be removed, makes installation of the parts easy. The only parts that are a minor gripe is the wipers. They don't seem to sit in their housings tight enough and keep falling out. I will look at gluing once I work out how to take the windscreen out. Apart from that, I'm very impressed.

tsubasa.jpg

tsubasa 1.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2