Kato KIHA81 announced.

marknewton

Wipers are now fitted. There’s a very fine tolerance to gluing them from the inside so you don’t get any glue on the front windscreen. As I had to take the cab out, it was also a good opportunity to add a driver and driver’s door window decals.

E5785536-7E4F-40D3-9498-1D8436B7E0A1.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
marknewton

Beautiful! I’m really looking forward to mine arriving. And thanks for the warning about the wipers.

All the best,

Mark.

19 minutes ago, marknewton said:

Beautiful! I’m really looking forward to mine arriving. And thanks for the warning about the wipers.

All the best,

Mark.

You won’t be disappointed Mark. 

As you’re very knowledgeable about JNR rolling stock, any ideas what the red lights either side of the headlights on the cab roof were used for? 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Kamome said:

As you’re very knowledgeable about JNR rolling stock, any ideas what the red lights either side of the headlights on the cab roof were used for? 

Finally something I know!  The red lights on either side of the cab were warning lights in case of an emergency stop, to alert any other trains on the line.  They could be triggered manually, by an emergency stop, or by the ATS system.  They would alternately flash like ditch lights on modern US diesels.  They were used on the kiha 81,82, and 181 series as far as I know, although the cab cars included a rooftop flare just like any other JNR rolling stock so I am not sure exactly what caused them to need the extra protection. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
marknewton

As it happens I didn’t know that, so we’ve both learned something thanks to Kiha66. 🙂

That’s what I love about our forum. People here know stuff, and they’re more than willing to share that stuff with others.

All the best to you both,

Mark.

al camino
3 minutes ago, Martijn Meerts said:

I know nothing, I just pretend 😉

May I join your club?

I know just that I know very little.

Background music by Freddy Mercury: "Great Pretender" 🙂

Now my shipment is on it's way from Hobby Search to me. 3* KIHA81 + 2* 82-900 to komplete my KIHA plans.

Wondering if I should have ordered more KIHA81 - just because they are already sold out - wait - restocked at Hobby Search.

Should I or not? Or would a EF71 be better for helper service? Or ... ? Ouuuh! Decisions!

Edit: One decision is solved - KIHA81 sold out again ...

Edited by al camino
  • Haha 1

Welp all this uncertainty is making me worried, I really hope MTP gets the stock they were promised!  Still waiting on my preorder till they get back from the hobby show.

On 5/6/2019 at 11:53 AM, Kamome said:

... a good opportunity to add a driver and driver’s door window decals.

May I kindly ask to show the door window decal.

I am curious.

Also which road numbers are on KIHA81/82-900 sheet to rub on?

On pictures I only could spot KIHA81 1 and 81 2.

I hope you get yours, Kiha.

A lot of main outlets in Japan seem to have sold out, Tam Tam, Yodobashi, Tenshodo and Kato’s on-line shop.

There are still some going on Yahoo auctions but for an inflated price. I would expect that Kato will do another run as they sold through so quickly. Kishi 80s also sold out and even Kiro 80 stock is getting low in many places. 

I missed out on some Kiro 28s which sold through quickly but Kato have more in late September.  From a business perspective, if the demand is there, get on and produce some more. 

A2694431-1AFB-480B-9FC6-A4CF487E0451.jpeg

BB890B36-1D71-4A84-8545-5636CB05EDFB.jpeg

• Like 1

Many thanks Kamome!

My shipment is somewhere between Tokyo int and Frankfurt.

My budget appreciates the sold out status. TOMIX series 70 and the KUMONI83 rerun added a heavy load to the KIHAs.

• Like 1

Shipment arrived in Frankfurt.

Hopefully this time customs and postal service will work well.

Don't want to wait and search for the shipment.

Grmmmpffffzzz! 😬

Tracking tells the shipment is transferred to customs - but(!) - which custom office??? No details:

I hope to get a notification the next days.

Last shipment was without notification and made a lot of trouble.

I'll wait until Friday - if no notificaton then start searching immediately by calling the related customs offices.

Should I change my hobby?

Would drinking beer from the local brewery the better choice?

Edited by al camino
Al Camino should learn to check text BEFORE clicking (submit)
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, al camino said:

Grmmmpffffzzz! 😬

Tracking tells the shipment is transferred to customs - but(!) - which custom office??? No details:

I hope to get a notification the next days.

Last shipment was without notification and made a lot of trouble.

I'll wait until Friday - if no notificaton then start searching immediately by calling the related customs offices.

Should I change my hobby?

Would drinking beer from the local brewery the better choice?

From Japan to Germany packages always go to customs first, because they have to do the declaration and determine the final charge you have to cough up.

If you supplied a telephone number on the package (i.e. filled it in at Hobbysearch) then you probably get a call. If not, you get a letter. They don't do transfers anymore to your local customs office.

9 hours ago, Yavianice said:

From Japan to Germany packages always go to customs first, because they have to do the declaration and determine the final charge you have to cough up.

If you supplied a telephone number on the package (i.e. filled it in at Hobbysearch) then you probably get a call. If not, you get a letter. They don't do transfers anymore to your local customs office.

I know. I am also prepared to spend 220 bucks for customs.

But usually the EMS service manages the customs at incoming airport and I have to pay the curier at my front door with delivery.

All information are applied but last time I got NOcall or letter. Postal sevrvide even did not know which customs office they delivered to.

My feeling is that with beginning of this year the EMS postal service had been "improved".

Let's wait and see what the near future will show up.

Looks like I wont be getting my Kiha 81 after all, kato is sold out everywhere and shops aren't getting the restock they expected.  Hopefully kato does another run soon! 

• Sad 2
On 5/15/2019 at 6:57 AM, al camino said:

Let's wait and see what the near future will show up.

<PANIC MODE - OFF>

Postman brought the notification this morning.

I just came back from customs office.

Every thing is fine, shipment not damaged and ready for detrailled inspection.

Customs officer told that EMS often skips the normally included customs service because of low capacity or simply lack of interest.

Because it is about ordering more キハ80 items I moved this post to in "What did you order or the post deliver?"

Edited by al camino
On 5/15/2019 at 3:45 PM, Kiha66 said:

Looks like I wont be getting my Kiha 81 after all, kato is sold out everywhere and shops aren't getting the restock they expected.  Hopefully kato does another run soon! 

My local hobby shop Fukuya in Yahata have 3 Kiha 81s left, but as ever, are the full list price. ¥9956

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the heads up!  Depending on finances in the next month or so I may try to pick up a pair if I can find the spare hobby money.

marknewton

My Kiha 81 and the Tomix 70 series EMU arrived on Saturday, but I’ve been at work on both days so I haven’t had a chance to do anything with them. They look to be lovely models, so once I’ve got them numbered and detailed I’ll post some photos.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1
marknewton

I had a few quiet moments so I stuck all the bits on the KiHa 81. As I expected it’s a beautiful model. Weird looking prototype though. 🙂

large.7332016E-43F9-42FC-9995-9191B01594

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2