JR E653 series in JNR livery

Photos of an E653 series set painted in JNR limited express livery have appeared online.

Does anyone know more?

I think it looks absolutely stunning on the E653.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Not sure how I feel about this one.  While I like JNR revival liveries, this one just seems to be more fantasy and doesn't quite fit the design of the train the way JNR liveries usually did.

Love it! I'm missing a JNR livery train in my fleet, and this fits the bill perfectly! Is it being used (or planned to be used) on the Inaho or Shirayuki service like the other E653s ?

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

Love it! I'm missing a JNR livery train in my fleet, and this fits the bill perfectly! Is it being used (or planned to be used) on the Inaho or Shirayuki service like the other E653s ?

From what I found so far it seems to be set U108, which is a 7-car E653-1000 series. Those are used on Inaho services. Shirayuki uses 4-car 1100 subseries sets.

The cat is out of the bag!

Apparently, this E653 will return to its old home and join JR East's Mito branch to most likely run the Hitachi service on the Joban-line.

I know the Hitachi and Tokiwa services are quite well frequented but is there actually a shortage of vehicles?

50 minutes ago, Suica said:

The cat is out of the bag!

YES!! Now I want a model of that! I don't have any JNR livery trains and this fits the description perfectly, as one of the nicer Limited Express trains! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, katoftw said:

The only E653 livery I like.

Same, mostly. While I quite like the Shirasagi colour, the original Fresh Hitachi liveries were terrible and the new all pink and blue Inahos are even worse. It's a shame, since I really like the E653's head design.

Japanese modellers already going at it.

Edited by Suica
11 hours ago, katoftw said:

The only E653 livery I like.

I only like the Inaho colour with the Sunrise and stripes, lovely colouring and the graphics are nice, with the other maybe the Shiriyuki colour... I would like the JNR livery cause I don't have a model of the cream and red JNR livery that is so iconic of former Japan Railways... The rest are pretty much boring...

Edited by JR 500系