The Freight side of things

inobu

I really like the freight aspect of modeling and had a short discussion concerning the limited shunting operations in modern JR systems. My thoughts were to operate the yard based on maintenance activities and shunting of private cargo cars. I have been building my freight inventory based on this concept. One unit that I like is M250 Super Rail Cargo.

The M250 series caught my eye instantly with its impressive and unique appeal. Its a night runner from Tokyo to Osaka that run about 70mph (110km/h) Top speed is 130km/h. Because it is designed around passenger train specifications it can operate with passenger trains. This is kinda funny seeing a mule run pass a carriage.

Now back to the point

Today, I ran across a few images that supports the maintenance concept.

20021004_Mc250-1_1.jpg

20021004_Mc250-1_2.jpg

I think there may be a lot more to do then I first thought. You can switch the M250 because Sagawa has 2 operating units 16 each with 10 spare cars. I'm sure that they rotate them around between runs. So, I think I'm on the right track <---- Hey that's a pun.

Bernard was going in the direction I want to go, although he is light years ahead it is the general direction just the same. I want to focus on a central yard with via duct/bullet train operating around it. I'm getting all the concepts, methods and pieces together. (Hence the cantenary and station thread, I'm learning as I go and its slow) hopefully I can get it all together and start soon.

Here is the conceptual layout, lot of pieces laying around but a general concept. Oh, this is Kato #611 layout modified/hacked up. Will have entry and exit into the yard.  24" grid

[smg id=666]

Inobu

Neat video, you don't expect a freight train to be going that fast.

At first glance I like the makeup of your layout with the yard as a focal point and having sections where the trains dissapear from view. Having your roster displayed on the layout is very impressive.

The one thing I would change in my yard is maybe having another access route in and out of the yard to the main lines.

I think the idea of a maintenance yard is is fairly novel and exciting. There are still some old-style container terminals around if you were interested in more traditional shunting operations.

When I get around to building a layout, I will likely include Sumidagawa Freight Terminal (on the Joban line just north of Ueno Station):

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&view=map&ie=UTF8&t=k&ll=35.73277,139.802184&spn=0.009824,0.017681&z=16

Does anyone know exactly when this train runs?

I imagine it will be visible on the line that runs beside ShinOsaka station. It comes from the yards near USJ (Ajikawaguchi) (actually, you can see one unloaded here) and so then runs beside the Umeda freight yards... but at what time?!

It suppose to leave at night and arrive early morning. I think its a 6 hour trip from Tokyo Freight Terminal to Osaka-Ajikawaguchi.

Which is right where you google mapped. That's a good find!

The shadows are cast to the left implying that it is morning and we see that it is unloaded. I wonder if they run 2 units back and forth or just 1 a day per direction.

Let see if there is a schedule or something that can really answer the question.

Inobu

Right, I found a bit of information here: http://www.rbbtoday.com/column/mtakaya/20051014/

It seems that the train leaves Osaka (Ajikawaguchi) at 23:09 and arrives in Tokyo at 05:20.

We all knew it only ran at night-time, and I think I do remember seeing the train whizz past when intoxicated as I returned to my apartment building in ShinOsaka... I do want to get a shot of it this time... I just don't know where would be the best... probably on ShinOsaka local platforms with video...

Right... this page: http://tran.sakura.ne.jp/freight/M250.html shows that the train can also be significantly delayed. It's seen passing Mishima at around 9am...