EdF

Kato "DCC Friendly" Database

nscaler711

So I looked at the google doc on here (thanks btw) and was wondering about the EF81 and why it has two listings with different decoder options. Different runs or different body styles?

I am curious as I want to buy a EF81 for a project, and kinda want to know which one I would need to pick up.

Thanks. 

EdF
5 minutes ago, nscaler711 said:

So I looked at the google doc on here (thanks btw) and was wondering about the EF81 and why it has two listings with different decoder options. Different runs or different body styles?

I am curious as I want to buy a EF81 for a project, and kinda want to know which one I would need to pick up.

Thanks. 

The k4a seems weird for both the ef81 and ef80, it's the board for the FEF UP steam and the ge4/4, which would need narrow boards, but maybe some with an ef81 could chime in.

chadbag
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, ecfitzgerald said:

The k4a seems weird for both the ef81 and ef80, it's the board for the FEF UP steam and the ge4/4, which would need narrow boards, but maybe some with an ef81 could chime in.

There are indeed different EF81 versions.  I have (at least) two EF81 and one uses the K4 style board (also TCS K7D4) and the other uses the K0 style board (also TCS K0D8-x).  The part numbers are totally different so that is probably a clue on which one uses which.

ETA:  This was news to me :).  This thread prompted me to go find and open mine.

IMG_0226.jpg

Edited by chadbag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

nscaler711
Posted (edited)

Ok so I'll give a little insight as to what I want to do, I wont derail this thread any further so if you want I will start a new thread. and I will link it here. hopefully if I can edit... If not, may post in the N scale forum.

I can Edit!! (very generous of the Mods here btw, know forums where you have to have a certain Post count)

Here it is... don't hate me.

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/15157-kato-ef81-rw/

Edited by nscaler711
  • Like 1

David McC

Digitrax now has a DN163K0d decoder which is identical to their DN163K0a but with short LED leads.

It's a direct drop in for a DF200 series locomotive - no modifications, no tape.

DN163K0D_jpg_350x900_q85.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1