Kato "DCC Friendly" Database

So I looked at the google doc on here (thanks btw) and was wondering about the EF81 and why it has two listings with different decoder options. Different runs or different body styles?

I am curious as I want to buy a EF81 for a project, and kinda want to know which one I would need to pick up.

Thanks. 

5 minutes ago, nscaler711 said:

So I looked at the google doc on here (thanks btw) and was wondering about the EF81 and why it has two listings with different decoder options. Different runs or different body styles?

I am curious as I want to buy a EF81 for a project, and kinda want to know which one I would need to pick up.

Thanks. 

The k4a seems weird for both the ef81 and ef80, it's the board for the FEF UP steam and the ge4/4, which would need narrow boards, but maybe some with an ef81 could chime in.

51 minutes ago, ecfitzgerald said:

The k4a seems weird for both the ef81 and ef80, it's the board for the FEF UP steam and the ge4/4, which would need narrow boards, but maybe some with an ef81 could chime in.

There are indeed different EF81 versions.  I have (at least) two EF81 and one uses the K4 style board (also TCS K7D4) and the other uses the K0 style board (also TCS K0D8-x).  The part numbers are totally different so that is probably a clue on which one uses which.

ETA:  This was news to me :).  This thread prompted me to go find and open mine.

IMG_0226.jpg

Edited by chadbag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Ok so I'll give a little insight as to what I want to do, I wont derail this thread any further so if you want I will start a new thread. and I will link it here. hopefully if I can edit... If not, may post in the N scale forum.

I can Edit!! (very generous of the Mods here btw, know forums where you have to have a certain Post count)

Here it is... don't hate me.

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/15157-kato-ef81-rw/

Edited by nscaler711
  • Like 1

Digitrax now has a DN163K0d decoder which is identical to their DN163K0a but with short LED leads.

It's a direct drop in for a DF200 series locomotive - no modifications, no tape.

DN163K0D_jpg_350x900_q85.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Takahama Trainwatcher
16 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

The e257 is dcc ready according to kato

https://www.katomodels.com/product/n/e257

If so, that would be the first E257 Kato has made that is "DCC Friendly", wouldn't it? I would be looking for confirmation on that from a train owner. I hope it is ready for an EM13.

On 6/3/2019 at 3:34 AM, Takahama Trainwatcher said:

If so, that would be the first E257 Kato has made that is "DCC Friendly", wouldn't it? I would be looking for confirmation on that from a train owner. I hope it is ready for an EM13.

The KATO factory website sayts it is "DCC Friendly" (using Google translate) and that means EM13 in KATO speak for all other trains so labeled that I am familiar with (Japanese trains).

Hi all, 

I just purchased an N scale Kato EF65-2000 (Kato 3061-4). Was just wondering if anyone knows if it’s DCC friendly, and if so, which decoder should I use?

Edited by Blackcaim
48 minutes ago, EdF said:

Should be the same as the other 3061-x models. 

Thanks. I just want to confirm, is it the digitrax  DN163K0a? Or is it the digitrax DN163K4a? 

Cause we bought a Dn163K0a, and it doesn’t match the shape of the board. 

I don't have direct experience, but the digitrax/tcs boards are usually shorter, as kato surface mounts the LEDs and the DCC board have them on leads.

1 hour ago, Blackcaim said:

Thanks. I just want to confirm, is it the digitrax  DN163K0a? Or is it the digitrax DN163K4a? 

Cause we bought a Dn163K0a, and it doesn’t match the shape of the board. 

Can you pop the shell and post a photo of the main chassis with the light board on it?

22 hours ago, chadbag said:

Can you pop the shell and post a photo of the main chassis with the light board on it?

Ok, here are the photos. This is with the DN163K0a. It doesn’t fit the train. 

64A3B436-4D66-4154-B1AC-7B79C6D805BB.jpeg

8CD42943-B57E-4BF7-8FBA-001A0FE5863F.jpeg

I'd have to get one of my TCS equivalents out to check but the DN163K0a should fit.  It will be longer but will just stick out where the LED legs are.

It does look like it should be the k4.  The narrowness and the style of the contacts match the k4.  I wonder if the other 3061s are wrong?

Yes, my comment was that the pic of the loco looks like it would take a k4.  There are bosses in the metal that would interfere with the k0 it looks like, and the motor contacts are not the fold over tabs you see in k0 installs, it looks to have the clip on tabs that the north American narrow hoods use.  Not sure if the LEDs would line up, but the k4 does have surface mounted lights.

Edited by EdF
38 minutes ago, EdF said:

Yes, my comment was that the pic of the loco looks like it would take a k4.  There are bosses in the metal that would interfere with the k0 it looks like, and the motor contacts are not the fold over tabs you see in k0 installs, it looks to have the clip on tabs that the north American narrow hoods use.  Not sure if the LEDs would line up, but the k4 does have surface mounted lights.

Ok, sorry.  I was confused looking at the pic.   The existing light board faded into the frame and I thought the decoder pic was the original light board (which, if I was awake and lucid, it is obviously not).

Yes, that existing light shown installed on the chassis would use the K4 variant as a decoder replacement.  The TCS version is the K1D4

Sorry, my bad.  I was up until 3:30am and had to get up for work and am not quite up to speed yet.

7 hours ago, Blackcaim said:

Ok, here are the photos. This is with the DN163K0a. It doesn’t fit the train. 

Yep, you want a DN163K4a.  It should fit fairly well inside.

Hi all, 

I just purchased an N scale Kato 10719-1 AVE Serie 100.  It is second hand off eBay and the seller is unable to advise if it is DCC friendly.   Was just wondering if anyone knows if it’s DCC friendly, and if so, which decoder should I use?  This is a photo of the box it comes in which may give some indication of age.

Thanks

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by DavidT