Kato "DCC Friendly" Database

3024-1 EF64 1000: Possibly --> Solder-LEDs

(drop-in, slight shortening of the lights as well as sanding the top of the bulbs for secure shell placement)

EF64.jpg

Edited by mvaron
Wrong model number, sorry everyone :/
  • Thanks 3
  • Densha pinned this topic

I have a suggestion for the database. There are many Kato models that are decidedly DCC unfriendly, but for which there are very good write ups on how to convert them (both here and on various other sites). How would you feel about adding a catagory "No but known guide" or maybe a shorter phrase, and using the J column to put a link to the write-up/guide. Personally I must know of at least ten.

• Like 1

I like that idea, also a qualified yes for the ones that require led soldering. 

Added Solder-LED, Solder-Motor and Solder-All to the options.

Solder-Motor I think will just be for the units that take the FL12s but not the EM13.

Edited by ecfitzgerald
Expanded
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, ecfitzgerald said:

I like that idea, also a qualified yes for the ones that require led soldering. 

Added Solder-LED, Solder-Motor and Solder-All to the options.

Solder-Motor I think will just be for the units that take the FL12s but not the EM13.

Great. I'll post below when I get a chance on the ones I know, and whenever you get round to it, you can add them to the database. 

Below are some links. I'm only listing write-ups that I've used myself and know from experience to be good.

Kato M250 Super Rail Cargo excellent DCC write up by inobu

Kato DD16 conversion by yours truly

Kato EF-210 conversion by inobu. This thread also includes a link to an alternative method by Dani using a D&H tiny decoder, which is a nice alternative.

Kato EF-58 conversion by Martijn Meerts

Kato EH 500 by inobu. I used this guide for a EH200 which is similar and couldn't get it to work. I had to abandon it for another method that I didn't write-up. However, Melandir describes posted success with the same method on a 200.

Kato Type 500 Shinkansen motor by inobu and cab lights by me. 

That's all I can think of for now. 

• Like 1

Also worth noting is that NGDCC - a small Japanese manufacturer makes custom drop-in decoders for many Kato locos that are otherwise "DCC unfriendly".

ecfitzgerald offered me edit access to the database to add some of these resources. If anyone knows of any DCC conversion write-ups that they know to work reliably, please post them below and I'll add them. 

I'll also add the NGDCC decoders when I get a chance.

The Ishikawa 521, Kato 10-1508 and 10-1509 are both DCC friendly with the standard Kato drop-in decoderd for Motorcar and Headlights.

• Thanks 1

Katos other 521 series models (10-1395 JR West & 10-1437 Ainokaze Toyama Railway) are DCC friendly too, using standard decoders.

10-1284 Odakyu 3100 NSE has DCC-ready cab cars but the motor car is a split frame design and would probably require soldering or even machining as there isn't a lot of space. The same is probably true for 10-1181 Odakye 3100 NSE (No AC) as it's pretty much the same model except for roof installations.

Not DCC-Friendly are:
-Aichi Loop Line Railway (Aikan) 2000 series (10-492 Green & 10-1168 Blue)
-Kiha 111+112 (10-1165) (Same for 10-347, 10-348, 6043, 6044, 6043-1, 6044-1, 10-1166, 10-1169)

-787 series "Around the Kyushu" (10-590) (Same for 10-320, 10-321, 10-237)

-885 series "Around the Kyushu" (10-1394) (Same for 10-410, 10-186, 10-246)

• Thanks 1

OK, Updated 10-1100+  Still lots of unknowns.  360+ model numbers now.

Some groups of models that I think share the same answers

Seibu 101 Series

103 Series

165 Series

185 Series

189 Series

381 Series

Thanks!

Takahama Trainwatcher

I note that the conversions posted are those that people have personal experience in doing.

As regards the "DCC friendly" models, are you also limiting that to those where people can actually vouch, from personal experience, that it is true?

(I ask because of the contradictory information about DCC friendly status from different sources, as outlined at

)

• Like 1

I have used personal experience, MTP, Kato in that order.  MTP doesn't always mention it, and Kato seems to have stopped mentioning it at all on the web site, and as has been discussed, the catalogue is not 100%.

I have wondered how to indicate that its been vouched for, without it becoming even more complicated to track.

That discussion was what lead me to want to make this, I had really hoped HB-E300 would be easy.

Edited by ecfitzgerald
7 minutes ago, ecfitzgerald said:

That discussion was what lead me to want to make this, I had really hoped HB-E300 would be easy.

The HB-300 should be relatively easy.  Board replacement using digitrax or TCS.  Thanks to @Kiha66 for pointing me in that direction a while ago.  I have a TCS decoder for mine but not yet installed.  I got the TCS equivalent of the Digitrax.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/3/2018 at 1:46 AM, ecfitzgerald said:

I have wondered how to indicate that its been vouched for, without it becoming even more complicated to track.

How about adding an "info source" field? It could just say "Kato" (for tested drop ins) or "Kato catalog" (for untested) for official support or the name of who tested it (for wired or custom boards) or a link to the installation instructions.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mvaron said:

Found this today looking while searching for a decoder for my Kato Seibu E851 and thought it might be useful: 
http://www.katomodels.com/hobby/dcc/digitrax_decorders.shtml

It looks like kato custom versions of digitrax.  But for your Seibu I assume it requires milling, digitrax tend to have chips on the underside of the boards, I wonder if TCS would have the same issue.

Edited by ecfitzgerald
On 11/6/2018 at 9:50 PM, chadbag said:

TCS shows installation instructions for a few of their decoders in some KATO models (non US models)

E4 Max -- M1 -- (any small wired decoder should be similar) -- https://tcsdcc.com/installation/n-scale/kato-e4-series-max/m1

Ge4/4 II, III "Glacier Express" -- K7D4 -- https://tcsdcc.com/installation/n-scale/kato-ge44-ii-iii-glacier-express/k7d4

So the E4 doesn't take an EM13?

Correct, these are custom decoders. With a little further research I discovered that the more common and much more easily available (at least here in the states) DN163K0A will also work, just need to solder-LEDs like I did with my 3024-1 EF64 1000.  Also, I had to file the top of the LEDs so that the case would snap in place, just FYI.

The 10-1121 JR 321 Series is EM13 etc.  It is the same train as the 10-287 set but split between a start set and an add-on versus the complete 321 train, as far as I can tell.  (I have both the 10-1121 and 10-287 though I don't have the 10-1122 on)

• Thanks 1