Toyama Portram LRV Layout

Concept Model Trains

Concept Model Trains

Like most JNS members’ I’ve been waiting for the release of the Tomytec Toyama Portram LRV.  It has been worth the wait and they perform quite well.  My next job is to build a layout that will be home for them.  During the last few months I have put some ideas together.  I am especially impressed by small Japanese tram layouts and the way they can make good use of limited space.  Bill Robb’s contributions to the forum about trams have been very helpful and he has provided me with many ideas with his informative posts.

During the last two weeks I have put my ideas into practice and created a layout that measures 30” x 20” (76.2 cm x 50.8 cm).  This layout is phase one of the project.  It features a city theme with two main streets laid out back to back.  The track layout is a dual oval with some mini rail turnouts. 

Phase two will be another 30” x 20” layout built to compliment the first.  It will feature a suburban setting and have a contrasting track layout.  Both layouts will be independent at this stage.  I am still working on ideas for this layout but I plan to finish it during the next four weeks.

Phase three will combine both layouts.  Some changes to the track will be made but the scenery will stay the same.  My aim is to create modular layouts that can used as two small independant layouts or one large layout, by changing a few bits of track.  It will also be possible to position the layouts in different ways to create variations.

I haven’t embedded the track in the road surface because I decided to wait until the Unitram is released.  I felt that there was no need if Kato are going to offer a product that does the job for me :)  The current Tomytec Toyama Portram LRV and Tomix track combination offers me the opportunity to have some fun by having the option of creating a flexible layout that be easily changed.

The road markings still need to be added to the phase one layout.  I am not sure how I’m going to approach this.  Maybe a white marker or I could use some type of decal?  Does anyone have some suggestions?

I’ll keep everyone informed of updates to my project.  If any members have layout plans for their Tomytec LRV, I would be most interested in their plans.  I have attached some photos of the development so far.

post-71-13569923210103_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569923210727_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569923211039_thumb.jpg

post-71-1356992321135_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569923211738_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569923212055_thumb.jpg

For the road markings on my diorama, I'm going to make a set of stencils. I have a specific intersection that I'm modeling, so I'll print up a satellite image at model scale, glue it to some manilla paper, and carefully cut out the road markings. Then I'll use it as a stencil for my airbrush.

Seems easiest, frankly…

Concept Model Trains
Those trams make a great addition to a modern city. How many did you order? (I'm still waiting for mine.)

I ordered four Tomytec Toyama Light Rail with the motorized chasis.  It's enough for my little city layout.  I ended up giving one unit to my Dad so I ordered another to replace it. 

Concept Model Trains
Nice video of your layout there ... I'll also add a tramline to my layout. Can I ask, what controller are you using?

It seems that everyone is adding a tram line to their layout.  The Tomytec Toyama Portram has really got people motivated!  I used the Kato controller for the video but I also have used the Bachmann controller and the Tomytec Tetsudou Collection Tram Type Controller.  They all seem to work well with the Toyama Portram although the Tomytec Tetsudou Controller works extremely well. I amazed that Tomytec Tetsudou Controller performs so well at only 6 volts.

The Tomytec Tetsudou Controller?! It's battery powered right?

It's a good choice for Tomytec drives.  It's the only controller offered on the current Kodansha micro layout subscription series. Even Kato's small B-train drives run like "a bat out of hell" on 12V.  It's probably partly a lack of weight and you are not hauling a string of cars along like you are with a train.

Concept Model Trains

Last night I did a test of battery powered Tomytec Tetsudou Controller on the phase 2 layout of my Toyama Portram LRV Layout.  On one track I set up a Bachmann shunter which is quite a heavy train and only the second line I put one of the Tomytec Toyama Portram's.  The Tomytec Tetsudou Controller could only just move the shunter and didn't have enough power with the batteries.  By contrast the Tomytec Toyama Portram performed quite well. In some ways I think the Tetsudou Controller is better than the Kato and Bachmann controllers. 

cool little layout, i like how you doubled the bus stations as tram platforms!

Nice selection of cars and buildings too.

Concept Model Trains
i like how you doubled the bus stations as tram platforms!

I saw the Tomytec bus stations a couple of months ago at HW.  While looking at some of the photos of tram stops in Japan, I noticed that some were like bus stations.  Then I thought why not use them as tram platforms. 

cool little layout,

It's amazing how you can do some much in a small space.  I've already made phase II, another 30" x 20" layout.  I'll upload some pictures next week. 

Concept Model Trains

I have completed phase 2 of the layout.  There is a contrast with the first layout and the flowers do add a different look to it.  At this stage I am quite happy with the result.  I'm thinking of adding a third module to it.  Maybe a train shed or two.  I'm still planning to link the three layouts together.  I hope there enough space to fit all 3 modules!

post-71-13569923324426_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569923324835_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569923325226_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569923325635_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569923326099_thumb.jpg

I like the idea of the double theme layout. You have a lot of action going around in 2 different areas and in contrast.

Are you still using the battery controller and does each like have it's own power supply?

I tested out my Tram on a small oval last night with a 12v transformer, it flew. Tried a 9v battery, still flew. I plan to rig up a 6v battery pack and that should work.

Concept Model Trains
Are you still using the battery controller and does each like have it's own power supply?

I use the battery controllers mainly for testing.  At the moment I have two of these.  On the double theme layout I currently use four Kato controllers so I can run each line seperately.  It would make a good exhibition layout with so much going on. 

Concept Model Trains

I’ve made a third mini-layout to add to my Toyama Portram theme.  This layout features the depot and uses two Tomix train sheds as the major buildings.  I felt that after making modules for the suburbs and city, a train depot would finish my project off nicely.  It was an easy module to make and was built in a day.  Originally I was going to use a base board of 30” x 20” like the other modules but the train sheds were bit longer than I planned.  Instead I used a 32” x 40” board from an older layout.  I also used some spare trees I had on hand to fill out the space.  The track occupies about 36” x 20” so it is still a small layout.

I decided not to connect the track in all three modules.  It seemed to work more effectively as separate modules.  Maybe the Tomytec Toyama Portram looks best running on a small layout.

Overall I enjoyed to process of building the Toyama Portram LRV layouts.  Even though I have built large layouts in the past, I found it just as satisfying to work with a smaller one.  It was originally designed as a single module project but turned into three in the process.  It seems I inadvertently created a trilogy!

post-71-13569923421129_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569923421426_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569923421727_thumb.jpg

post-71-1356992342203_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569923422356_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569923422796_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569923423114_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569923423454_thumb.jpg

You've got multiple trams on one track - does that mean you've installed DCC in the Tomy Portram, or are you just using power routing to run one at a time while the other stays in the shed?