Care and feeding of your SuHaNeFu 15

Welshbloke

Years ago I picked up a pair of Tomix SuHaNeFu 15s to stand in for OHaNeFu 25s (which I couldn't get at the time). As I've since managed to find the 25 Series stock to finish my Asakaze properly they're now about to form another train, but I'm not sure how accurate it will be?

I've ordered four OHaNe 15s (Tomix 9513) to go between them and for some reason thought this replicated the Fuji sleeper service during part of its long life. However I can't find anything quite like this formation when I look again! Did they have to run with a SuHaNeFu 14 or were pairs of 15s seen? Should one of my OHaNes be an ORoNe?

Posting this in prototype as it's a question about real train formations. One also has to wonder about the logic of putting a diesel generator under a sleeping car!

• Like 1

Yep, that seems to be the packs they offered recently as the combined Fuji/Hayabusa. I ran the Fuji page from Wikipedia Japan through Google Translate and got the following formation:

SuHaNeFu 15

OHaNe 15 x 2

OHaNe 15-2000

ORoNe 15-3000

SuHaNeFu 14

Apparently both the Fuji and Hayabusa ran with this formation, so assembling two of them would give the full train. In other words I currently have two half half sets! It looks as though the 15-2000 shares the window arrangement and paintwork of a 25-1000 (which Tomix have made before), need to find out how close the two types were and also which of the ORoNes they've made is closest in appearance. I have the number transfers on the sheets which came with my SuHaNeFus. Individual coaches do pop up occasionally so I'll keep looking.

bikkuri bahn

One also has to wonder about the logic of putting a diesel generator under a sleeping car!

For hotel power (especially air conditioning).  With this arrangement, there is no need for a separate, non-revenue generator car, and allows more flexibility in rolling stock allocation and formations.

12 hours ago, bikkuri bahn said:

For hotel power (especially air conditioning).  With this arrangement, there is no need for a separate, non-revenue generator car, and allows more flexibility in rolling stock allocation and formations.

I think the comment was referring to the noise of a diesel generator not being conducive to sleep!   Diesel engines are not exactly quiet.

Yep, that plus they apparently abandoned the concept in favour of generator vans after a nasty fire. Sleeping on top of a running engine and a big tank of diesel wouldn't be my first choice!

I have seen video filmed in a 14 Series day coach, the generator sounded like a DMU engine at line speed. Obviously as the electrical loads are fairly steady it will always be that loud.

• Like 1