Strong loco needed

Tuga

I'm looking for a loco that can handle the Tomix track cleaner car in a layout with Kato standard incline piers when vacuum and using the cleaning pads (except the abrasive ones which I won't use).

I've been looking at the Tomix EF210 or the EF510. Do they bring traction wheels?

What about the Tomix ED61, ED75, EF81 or the Kato's EF54 ?

Too many options :violent1:

Would love to hear some opinions and experiences from other members of the forum.

It seems that everyone have done reviews on the Tomix track cleaner car but fail to mention some locos to go with it depending on their layout being flat or not.

Thanks

Edited by tavora

Kato EH200 or Kato EF210 have no problems pulling the Tomix track cleaner.

Edited by Densha
Staff Comment: Removed Unnecessary Quote.

Tomix sell the track cleaner bundled with an ED61, but I'd expect all of their electric locos to handle it. Of my collection the ED79 is the sweetest runner, closely followed by an EF66. Both don't even notice a ten coach train on level track.

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus

Don't make the mistake I did when I first got one of these track cleaners back in the mid-90s. The Tomix DE10 could barely pull itself, let alone the cleaner! 

• Like 3

I was intrigued to notice that my pair of DD51s came with optional ballast weights to fit inside the cab. As they're always run as a pair (and the weight would block the cab windows) I didn't bother. They can handle the Twilight Express without them.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Kato EH200 or Kato EF210 have no problems pulling the Tomix track cleaner.

Do you mean in a flat layout or in both (flat and inclines) ?

19 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

Tomix sell the track cleaner bundled with an ED61, but I'd expect all of their electric locos to handle it. Of my collection the ED79 is the sweetest runner, closely followed by an EF66. Both don't even notice a ten coach train on level track.

I have a mix layout. How well do they perform (ED61, ED79, EF66) on the Kato standard inclines?

18 hours ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

Don't make the mistake I did when I first got one of these track cleaners back in the mid-90s. The Tomix DE10 could barely pull itself, let alone the cleaner! 

Ok. Tomix DE10 is out of the picture. Thanks.

Yes I've seen some people run a pair of locos. I might have to go that way but that means spending twice more.

I'm sure that there is a loco that can cope with inclines while pulling the Tomix in full cleaning track mode and not only while in vaccum mode.

Edited by tavora

Can't remember whether I've tried my locos on the inclines, but I suspect Tomix reckon ten coaches to be the sensible limit for them as they offer a powered generator van for the Cassiopeia (12 coaches) but not the Twilight (10). I would be amazed if they couldn't drag a single cleaning wagon up there.

The base ED61 can pull the track cleaner car very easily. I've also had it heading a full train with the cleaner car just to see if it could do it...which it can.

The issue with the ED61 is that it's rather small, which mean less weight. With the brush installed, my track cleaner got stuck on grade crossings and complex switches with lots of rail. If you don't have anything like that, then you can use that little four axle. That said, if you do have lots of grade crossings (or any), look for something heavier. Both my EF66 and EF81 can hump that car over rail-level surfaces just fine due to weighing more.

Or you could just always pretend to be American and throw more locos at it. Seems to have worked for us..,

9 hours ago, GDorsett said:

The base ED61 can pull the track cleaner car very easily. I've also had it heading a full train with the cleaner car just to see if it could do it...which it can.

The issue with the ED61 is that it's rather small, which mean less weight. With the brush installed, my track cleaner got stuck on grade crossings and complex switches with lots of rail. If you don't have anything like that, then you can use that little four axle. That said, if you do have lots of grade crossings (or any), look for something heavier. Both my EF66 and EF81 can hump that car over rail-level surfaces just fine due to weighing more.

Or you could just always pretend to be American and throw more locos at it. Seems to have worked for us..,

Someone mentioned to me that I should look for the older models without "flywheel" because they are heavier. For example Kato EF66 (304/3004) instead of the new ones.

Which  Kato EF66 and EF81 full reference do you have?  Are they with or without "flywheel"?

Thanks

I have Tomix models of those.

Really, the flywheel is down to personal preference. Do you want slightly more weight or smoother running?

I know for a fact that the EF66 has flywheels, although they are very small and don't take up much room. I have not disassembled the EF81, as it's part of a special edition set.

20 hours ago, GDorsett said:

I have Tomix models of those.

Really, the flywheel is down to personal preference. Do you want slightly more weight or smoother running?

I know for a fact that the EF66 has flywheels, although they are very small and don't take up much room. I have not disassembled the EF81, as it's part of a special edition set.

I think in my case with the inclines the weight will be the main factor to get a good traction. Unless I'm totally wrong.🤔

For the most part, a heavy, full-sized, electric or diesel will have no trouble pulling that car over realistic inclines and small sections of grade crossings. Most steam engines, small electrics (ED75/79/61/62), narrow bodied diesels (DE10 family, DD50 family, DD14, etc.), and steam engines won't have enough weight to get the traction needed. Will they pull it on flat ground? Yeah. Over inclines? Probably not.