What are these cables for?

These pairs of thin cables run down the centres of both Hibiya Line platform roads at Naka-Meguro, and continue beyond but only on the lines to the stabling area just beyond.

My guess would be that they serve some function in forcibly restricting the speed of trains entering and leaving the stabling area, similar to the metal grids used in the UK for this purpose.

IMG_20180921_162618651.jpg

• Like 2
On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 5:35 PM, Space Beaver said:

These pairs of thin cables run down the centres of both Hibiya Line platform roads at Naka-Meguro, and continue beyond but only on the lines to the stabling area just beyond.

My guess would be that they serve some function in forcibly restricting the speed of trains entering and leaving the stabling area, similar to the metal grids used in the UK for this purpose.

I agree, those cables are part of the signalling system that limits train speeds (i.e 0, 25, 40, 55, 75 and 90 km/h). So the cables work as inductive loops that transmit information, about the status of the comming track sections, to the train on-board control system. The signalling system is called the Cab Signalling-Automatic Train Control System (CS-ATC or ATC-4) which is an analogue (i.e. old) system used by Tokyo Metro.

Btw, Tokyo Metro decided to start trials with the CBTC signalling system for the Marunouchi Line (only in a small branch of 3 stations and with a specially equipped train) on this year.

Also, the metal grids that you mentioned are part of the Train Protection & Warning System (TPWS) which is a train protection system (UK and Australia).

I gave my best shot but some info could be reviewed. Cheers!

• Like 1

Those twin cables are antennas, which allow the train staff to communicate with the CTC center.  The trainsets themselves have antennas mounted on the sides or underneath.  This allows communication in the restricted space of tunnels.  

edit: to add, this is called inductive radio, or "yudou musen" (誘導無線).  Copy pasting that term will produce many images on google.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
addtl info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1