Jump to content
scotspensioner

Sound trucks and ice cream vans

Recommended Posts

chadbag
1 hour ago, scotspensioner said:

 In Scotland a similar function is performed by the ice cream vans playing their chimes to sell ice cream ,fizzy drinks and candy!!

 

Don't they have "Ice Cream Trucks" all over the world?    I know my piggy bank suffered as a kid whenever I heard the chimes.  And one guy parked outside the elementary school I went to in Arizona.   Even now I sometimes hear and see them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
katoftw

Yeah common worldwide.

Share this post


Link to post
Khaul
1 hour ago, katoftw said:

Yeah common worldwide.

 

No, not really. There are almost no ice-cream trucks in Spain, where I grew up. There may be some, but I haven't seem them in Japan either. Note that in Spain most people live in high dense urban areas full of apartments so there is always a shop or a cafe around the corner to get your ice-cream. Although in Japan most people live in houses, neighbourhoods are tightly packed and there are always several combinis and other shops at walking distance.

Share this post


Link to post
cteno4

Don’t think I’ve ever seen ice cream trucks in japan but lots of peddlers being fresh fish and veggies around as well as other foods in small trucks or vans to neighborhoods. 

 

jeff

Share this post


Link to post
railsquid
1 hour ago, Khaul said:

 

No, not really. There are almost no ice-cream trucks in Spain, where I grew up. There may be some, but I haven't seem them in Japan either. Note that in Spain most people live in high dense urban areas full of apartments so there is always a shop or a cafe around the corner to get your ice-cream. Although in Japan most people live in houses, neighbourhoods are tightly packed and there are always several combinis and other shops at walking distance.

 

Not a thing in Germany either.

 

12 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Don’t think I’ve ever seen ice cream trucks in japan but lots of peddlers being fresh fish and veggies around as well as other foods in small trucks or vans to neighborhoods. 

 

 

Yakiimo trucks are really the only common mobile food vendors who actually driver around neighbourhoods advertising their wares with a cheerful jingle, err sorry mournful yakiimo song, though not in summer...

Share this post


Link to post
chadbag

All these poor deprived kids in Japan, Spain, and Germany

Share this post


Link to post
railsquid

Yeah, poor kids in Germany don't have access to irregular itinerant vendors of mass-produced ice cream products, but instead have to suffer the ignomy of visiting their local, often Italian-run store selling something called "gelato".

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
gavino200
2 minutes ago, railsquid said:

Yeah, poor kids in Germany don't have access to irregular itinerant vendors of mass-produced ice cream products, but instead have to suffer the ignomy of visiting their local, often Italian-run store selling something called "gelato".

 

Don't gimme no "gelato" crap! I wanna Choc-ice, mister!!

 

(Just wan cor-netto - Geeve eet to me - Deelee-shus ice cream - from HB eee eee) 

Edited by gavino200

Share this post


Link to post
cteno4

Ice cream trucks are a real Pavlovian loop. 

 

Jeff

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
chadbag

People take this much too seriously.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
gavino200
1 minute ago, chadbag said:

People take this much too seriously.

 

 

Thems fightin' words!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Kiha66
15 minutes ago, chadbag said:

People take this much too seriously.

 

I'll have you know my cousin ran for city counsel at the age of 18 on the platform of un-banning ice cream trucks in there small town in NY...  and won.  It actually made national news.  

(this was in the earlier 2000s, and it actually happened)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
chadbag
3 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

 

I'll have you know my cousin ran for city counsel at the age of 18 on the platform of un-banning ice cream trucks in there small town in NY...  and won.  It actually made national news.  

(this was in the earlier 2000s, and it actually happened)

 

My friend married a girl from way upstate New York.  Out in the boonies (middle of no where).   I was there as part of the wedding party.  There was not much to do there, and the general store was full of those shot glasses with the girls that "unrobe" when you put ice in them.  It seemed to be their number one sales item by the prominent display of them and the number available.  That and beer.

 

 

So I fully believe you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
cteno4

Clint Eastwood won mayor of Carmel CA on a platform of unbanning ice cream cones being eaten on city streets the previous mayor had not supported repeal of. Ice cream is powerful! Even Dirty Harry will fight for it.

 

jeff

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
nscalestation
5 hours ago, railsquid said:

 

Not a thing in Germany either.

 

 

Yakiimo trucks are really the only common mobile food vendors who actually driver around neighbourhoods advertising their wares with a cheerful jingle, err sorry mournful yakiimo song, though not in summer...

 

I spent November of 2011 in Tokyo and was lucky enough to see the Yakiimo truck go by every evening.  I say lucky because I think they are something from the Showa era that is fading away.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Gryphr
6 hours ago, railsquid said:

 

Not a thing in Germany either.

 


It depends on the area I guess, in some places there are some. A friend who lived in a suburb had one come by every day during summer, it belonged to a local Ice Café. I myself lived a bit further out where we had no trucks though.

Share this post


Link to post
scotspensioner

It was tongue in cheek but I didn't think it would go this far!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Pauljag900

Life without ice cream would nt be worth living!!😂😂

i have a real passion for ice cream but as a diabetic I try to limit the amount I consume.I remember a few years ago while on holiday in the Dordoigne,France,visiting an ice cream parlour called” Ligloo” almost every night that boasted over 150 flavours! Including curry lavour🙈

we ve just had an ice cream parlour open about 6 miles away and so far I ve managed to resist,then my wife discovers they do deliveries! That could become a huge problem for me😂😂

Edited by Pauljag900
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Claude_Dreyfus

I had the dubious honour of working as an ice-cream man about 20-odd years ago. I had a van (a 1985 Ford Transit mark 2), which I drove around such places as Guildford, Farnborough and Aldershot... basically squaddie country. It was hard graft, 14-hour days were common and you were either driving or on your feet all day.

 

Incidentally, the chimes were simply a small wind-up music box on the dashboard wired up to a couple of loud-speakers in the roof. You needed to wind it up regularly or the tune got slower as you drive up the road. Also, those vans were weighty and alarmingly top-heavy. More than one of my colleagues took a corner a bit to fast and tipped a van over.

 

You can get UK N gauge ice-cream vans from Oxford Diecast, but those I have seen abroad tend to be ordinary vans  with a window cut in the side, so could easily be a conversation project.

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Pauljag900
4 minutes ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

I had the dubious honour of working as an ice-cream man about 20-odd years ago. I had a van (a 1985 Ford Transit mark 2), which I drove around such places as Guildford, Farnborough and Aldershot... basically squaddie country. It was hard graft, 14-hour days were common and you were either driving or on your feet all day.

 

Incidentally, the chimes were simply a small wind-up music box on the dashboard wired up to a couple of loud-speakers in the roof. You needed to wind it up regularly or the tune got slower as you drive up the road. Also, those vans were weighty and alarmingly top-heavy. More than one of my colleagues took a corner a bit to fast and tipped a van over.

 

You can get UK N gauge ice-cream vans from Oxford Diecast, but those I have seen abroad tend to be ordinary vans  with a window cut in the side, so could easily be a conversation project.

Yes,one will appear on my fairground when I get that far👍👍😀

Edited by Pauljag900

Share this post


Link to post
Socimi
18 hours ago, Khaul said:

 

No, not really. There are almost no ice-cream trucks in Spain, where I grew up. There may be some, but I haven't seem them in Japan either. Note that in Spain most people live in high dense urban areas full of apartments so there is always a shop or a cafe around the corner to get your ice-cream. Although in Japan most people live in houses, neighbourhoods are tightly packed and there are always several combinis and other shops at walking distance.

 

Must be an American kind of thing. Never saw or heard of them here in Italy either.

Here, if you want to buy an ice-cream you get to the nearest "Gelateria" (dedicated ice-cream shop) or just walk into any kind of Bar.

 

The closest thing i could think of, is the truck converted to mobile fruit/vegetable shop that tours around my city with the driver advertising his oranges and tangerines trough the loudspeaker system in a thick sicilian accent.

Edited by Socimi

Share this post


Link to post
Densha

Ice cream vans are all over the place in the Netherlands during summer. Long time ago you also had milk vans, vegetable vans, etc. but these basically went away with the introduction of the super market. You can still see them sometimes in rural areas though. Sound trucks are completely banned.

 

In Japan you will encounter lots of sound trucks for all kinds of purposes. Even the emergency services have their own 'gochuui kudasai' loudspeakers on whilst they cross around town with astonishing speeds of 30 km/h.

Share this post


Link to post
kvp

Ice cream trucks were pretty common in eastern Europe in the '90ies especially around weekend house areas and nicer suburban neighbourhoods. The sound slowly got banned everywhere and they disappeared.

 

Earlier there were bagged potato and other bulk foodstuff sales trucks but those went away with the old freight trams that bought in the fresh vegetables and milk in the mornings to the local shops. Today you can order most things online (including fresh foodstuff) and have it delivered within a few hours. There was an old joke about the internet: 'Nice, but can you download a pizza?' I guess nowdays you can...

Share this post


Link to post
gavino200
2 hours ago, Socimi said:

 

Must be an American kind of thing. Never saw or heard of them here in Italy either.

 

 

UK, Ireland, America, (Canada?). I think it's an Anglosphere thing. I'm curious if they have them in Australia and NZ?

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×