JNS Forum
Martijn Meerts

Tapatalk

Martijn Meerts

Hi!

I know some people use Tapatalk on mobile devices to read the forum, so I just wanted to post a little info here.

It's recently been discovered that the Tapatalk app (among several other apps, especially news and forums apps) tracks a lot of activity by the users, and then sells that tracking data to 3rd party advertising companies. Considering Tapatalk requires logging in and such, it might be tracking data you really don't want tracked.

With that in mind, we're considering removing support for Tapatalk, especially considering the mobile version of the forum is very usable.

Any comments from people using Tapatalk would be much appreciated.

• Like 2

cteno4

Continuing tapatalk support also puts yet another thing on Martijn’s system admin job list, especially when revisions to tapatalk or the forum software roll out and break something. 

Jeff

Yavianice

I use Tapatalk, and I hate its guts, not only because of the tracking issue. To be honest I only use it because of notifications. But I’ve become accostumed to just surfing it in the mobile browser, but I still miss the notifications 😞

JR 500系

Not a huge fan of Tapatalk too... I'll rather use my mobile browser since it has the same interface as my PC one... 

railsquid

Don't use it; any service which acts as a free proxy is almost guaranteed to be dodgy...

• Like 1

chadbag

No skin off my back to disable it.   I tried it (on another forum) many years ago.  The experience sucked compared to the browser (for me) and I have never looked back.  The latest news just confirms it for me.

Martijn Meerts
On 9/12/2018 at 11:49 PM, Yavianice said:

I use Tapatalk, and I hate its guts, not only because of the tracking issue. To be honest I only use it because of notifications. But I’ve become accostumed to just surfing it in the mobile browser, but I still miss the notifications 😞

What kind of notifications are you getting through Tapatalk? I know the forum itself has some notifications in it as well, but I don't often use it on mobile myself.

Yavianice
1 hour ago, Martijn Meerts said:

What kind of notifications are you getting through Tapatalk? I know the forum itself has some notifications in it as well, but I don't often use it on mobile myself.

Notifications just like you would get news or e-mail notifications on iPhone, but then every time someone posts something on threads I follow or started. I find it very convenient. Otherwise I have to go to the browser and check notifications there. I think e-mail notifications are not a good solution for fear of overflowing my already full e-mail account, therefore push notifications are preferable.

Martijn Meerts

Ah right.. Not sure the forum can do that, I know it has browser notifications, but I'm not sure if those can be set up to appear on the iPhone's notifications screen.