Question about replacement buses used while lines are down for weather

bluejeans

Do people just buy their ticket from the station, then jump on without being checked?  Or does the driver check?  Because when I've seen it done in other countries, you buy a train ticket and just hop on the bus without anyone wanting to see it.

Dunno about Japan but in NL there are check in and check out poles at the bus stop for replacement buses which you need to use before getting in.

The one time I experienced it in Sweden we just jumped on available busses.  Nobody checked anything.    I would suspect that Japan is much more orderly.  My wife (from Japan) was not impressed by the experience in Sweden.

I have yet to encounter any kind of rail replacement bus, but here's a video of people boarding one:

This appears to be a short-term service, the passengers have very likely received special tickets from the railway company (振替乗車票) which they hand over when boarding the bus.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, bluejeans said:

Do people just buy their ticket from the station, then jump on without being checked?  Or does the driver check?  Because when I've seen it done in other countries, you buy a train ticket and just hop on the bus without anyone wanting to see it.

In Hungary, it's front boarding only and the driver checks the tickets or even sells them, like on normal driver only operated buses and trains with no station/stop ticket office staff.

1 hour ago, railsquid said:

This appears to be a short-term service, the passengers have very likely received special tickets from the railway company (振替乗車票) which they hand over when boarding the bus.

Getting a train replacement service token is a really nice solution as collecting them is much faster than checking each ticket.

• Like 1
On 9/6/2018 at 3:41 AM, kvp said:

In Hungary, it's front boarding only and the driver checks the tickets or even sells them, like on normal driver only operated buses and trains with no station/stop ticket office staff.

Getting a train replacement service token is a really nice solution as collecting them is much faster than checking each ticket.

Interesting, in Australia you jump on (and a shutdown of a single major line requires coach companies from half the country to put drivers on) - I was checked by the marshalls once, but they were just annoyed that I wanted to travel on a certain route without having a good enough reason for actually traveling.

In the UK you are supposed to buy a ticket and the driver is supposed to check them, but because the buses aren't ran by the rail company the bus drivers rarely ever check them and some of them are very vocal about not really caring if you have a ticket or not. so in reality in the UK (or at least in my local area) you can mostly get away without even buying a ticket 😞