Typhoon 21 knocks out Kansai Airport

railsquid

Runways flooded, rail/road bridge hit by tanker (bridge section actually knocked off its supports and onto the JR/Nankai line).

kansai-airport-bridge.jpg.fee7e709fbd642cbd05332cbf99a892a.jpg

Edited by railsquid
  • Sad 2

At least someones model train order arrives on time. And it's Japan so they wait for the light to turn green.

Edited by Yavianice
noticed he waits for the traffic light, lol

It looks like one road deck is fine at least. Hopefully they can evacuate via that route and then temporarily use this deck until the other road deck and train bridge are repaired.

It looks like the rail service is out too, judging from the fallen cantory pole... But that should be easily repaired by the resilient and brave Japanese... That would at least help to bring the 3000 over stranded passengers out of the airport perhaps? 

If you look closely, you can see that the road deck that got hit fell onto the train deck. It destroyed part of the catenary, but also blocks trains in one direction. Not to forget that the shock may have led to invisible damaging of the remaining bridge structure.

They just said on the news the bridge operator will be checking the intact road span tomorrow (when it's light and the rain has let up) and if there are no problems, the stranded people will be evacuated by bus.

Also saw this

and this (which is in Amagasaki, where my MIL lives -- wife says her power is out -- not sure how she/MIL is using LINE on her iPad)

8 hours ago, railsquid said:

They just said on the news the bridge operator will be checking the intact road span tomorrow (when it's light and the rain has let up) and if there are no problems, the stranded people will be evacuated by bus.

Being evacuated by boat.

I've seen half a dozen scaffolding collapses, if not more.   Pretty spectacular looking.  Hopefully no one was injured.  

My wife had lots and lots of photos and videos in her Twitter feed.  We were talking about the various instances she was showing me.  This has been a pretty bad storm -- worst in 25 years in Japan -- and approximately a category 3 storm on the scale used for Hurricanes.

My question is, as Japan sees these storms every 25 years or so (say 20-50 years?), you wonder why things are not in code to withstand 100mpg winds?

I consider the Kansai area got off lightly. As long as there are no more nuclear plant disasters, this stuff can be cleaned up quickly. My visit to Aizu Wakamatsu and seeing Geiger counters still on display on campus was disconcerting.

Edited by sandiway
1 hour ago, railsquid said:

On the news they just said part of the airport will be reopened for domestic flights tomorrow.

I think it is because Runway B (which is not flooded due to it being 5 meter higher than Runway A) is suitable for operation, while clearing debris and water from Runway A is still underway.

Railway line over the bridge due to be reopened on Tuesday September 18th.

A whacking great floating crane has been brought up to remove the damaged road sections.

Report in Japanese here: https://mainichi.jp/articles/20180915/k00/00e/040/307000c

Video here: https://www.mbs.jp/news/kansainews/20180915/GE000000000000024400.shtml

(Note as with many Japanese news sources, the links may become invalid after a few days)

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 1