My collection of Japanese HO

martin67

Hi,

about 20 years ago I started to collect Japanese trains. In the beginning I bought N-scale, which is, I think, quite normal. Now, I have to go back a couple of years. Back in 1980 I had  a school mate whose parents flew to Japan. When they came back they brought him some trains, and, since I was a good friend, they gave me a Endo HO-catalogue. I still keep this catalogue. Three or four years ago, my wife was in Japan and called me on the phone. She said she had received some sort of train for me from somebody. Something rare, she said.

It was a brass steamer, which looks a little bit japanese. The box is marked MSK, which I think is Miyazaki. Nothing else I know. Couldn't find a matching prototype, don't know anything about MSK...

33734050wo.jpg

33734053ew.jpg

Here's the box, saying MSK

33734054yg.jpg

Front coupling is missling (if ther was one)

33734056oe.jpg

The rear one is the standard japanese Coupling (Fleischmann-Type) hook & loop.

33734057zj.jpg

Cheers,

Martin

• Like 3

Martin, I'm not sure about the maker being Miyazaki. I have a few of their models, and the box art and logo spell out the name in full. I suspect MSK are another company altogether.

The prototype JGR 2900 class engines were rebuilds of Baldwin-built B6 class 0-6-2Ts. 17 engines were rebuilt by the JGR Yokkaichi and Takatori workshops in 1911. Allowing for its age, your model is a good representation of these engines.

All the best,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 1

Hi Mark,

thanks for this! I couldn't find anything about this little steamer until now, I presumed to have some sort of indonesian jungle railway train, or maybe a model not related to any real thing. Is there anybody out there to shed some light on the maker MSK? I'd also like to know when this model was made, at least approximately. Could be something from the 1970's or even earlier? How long and where did the real 2900 run? Many questions....

Seems I misspelled Miyazaki, it should be Miyazawa...

Martin  

Edited by martin67
19 minutes ago, martin67 said:

Hi Mark,

thanks for this! I couldn't find anything about this little steamer until now, I presumed to have some sort of indonesian jungle railway train, or maybe a model not related to any real thing. Is there anybody out there to shed some light on the maker MSK? I'd also like to know when this model was made, at least approximately. Could be something from the 1970's or even earlier? How long and where did the real 2900 run? Many questions....

Seems I misspelled Miyazaki, it should be Miyazawa...

Martin  

A quick Google image search with 宮沢模型 msk brings up a bunch of boxes with both "MSK" and "宮沢模型" (as well as others with just "MSK"), so it looks very much like that is Miyazawa.

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 1

Ah, seems Google search works better in japanese in this matter. Thanks, mate, now I know more and my wishlist grows, too. I have to go to Tenshodo again, they had a lot of affordable old brass three weeks ago.

Will come up with more models and more questions shortly!

Martin

Edited by martin67

The next model. Ibought this brass Kiha02 railbus just a few weeks ago in Tokyo. The maker according to the box is a company TER. The same model (slightly different colour scheme) with the stange fuel tank is pictured in the 1980 Endo catalogue.

33741823bi.jpg

33741824fq.jpg

Here comes the picture from the catalogue;

33741826ix.jpg

Who is TER? Is there any connection to Endo? Was Endo a wholesale (many models in the catalog are marked KTM)?

Martin

Edited by martin67

These are coches marked "Nakamura". I bought them in 2016 at Popondetta's in Hachioji (Keio Stn.). The material is plastic, I believe they might have been a kit someday. There was no box for them.If you sear ch google for Nakamura, you find US brass or 1/24 kits of classic cars from the 70's.Don't know if the brass and plastic models are from the same manufacturer.

The blue coach seems to be unpainted, while the brown ones are definately painted.

33757717fm.jpg

33757718qk.jpg

33757719me.jpg

Along with the coaches I found a motorized railcar without trailer. Maker is Nakamura, too, the model is painted. There was no trailer coming with the railcar.

33757721kk.jpg

33757736hh.jpg

Don't know so much about Nakamura, appreciate every help (as well as for TER).

All my models shown here are not intended for sale.

Martin

Edited by martin67
  • Like 1

The blue coach seems to be a combine from the suha 44 series, probably a suhani 35 like would be found on the prewar tsubame and hato expresses.   The next two may be a suha 44 and oha 35, and the the last one looks like a Kumoha of some kind, possibly of the 40 or 50 something series.  Very neat models, those couplers are pretty ancient.  

Edited by Kiha66
2 hours ago, martin67 said:

Don't know so much about Nakamura, appreciate every help (as well as for TER).

"Nakamura Seimitsu" is the full name, they don't seem to have a home page. I don't know much more about them either. If you put "中村精密 客車キット ho" in Google Images, it brings up quite a lot of coaches looking like yours.

11 hours ago, martin67 said:

33757721kk.jpg

Looks like a Tobu 7800 series with the original single headlight (pre 1960s), altough it's painted in the late 1960s all-over white liviery.

img_0_m?1467984632

Edited by Socimi
  • Like 1

Thanks for the pictures of the real thing. The question will be where to get the rest of the train from. Anyway, today I picked up a parcel from Japan at my local customs office. A classic brass JNR EF66 made by KTM Katsumi. What a beautie.....

33793675xh.jpg

33793680cd.jpg

33793692ud.jpg

33793698vy.jpg

Martin

• Like 3