E235-1000 series for the Yokosuka/Sobu Line

trainsforever8

trainsforever8

According to this article, the E235 series will replace the 217 series on the Yokosuka and Sobu-Rapid lines after 2020. Naturally, since these trains run on longer distance routes, they will have green cars and washrooms as well. Eventually, we can also expect the Takasaki, Tokaido and Utsunomiya lines to see the E235 series added to them. 

I just hope that the livery, especially on the sides of the train, will be more "dynamic" than that of the Yamanote Line's E235 series. While I do like the colored doors as they are more obvious for platform doors, I don't think it's necessary to make the rest of the train to look bland because people will still see it pass by outside of stations. I feel the same way about Tokyu's 2020 series. They are nice trains anyway, but I hope the livery style will be different.

https://www.sankei.com/economy/news/180903/ecn1809030015-n1.html

My japanese isn't good enough to translate a whole article so here's google's translation (if anybody would be willing to properly translate this, it would be appreciated). 

It is clear that JR East will expand the operation of the new model "E235 series" which is introducing to the Yamanote Line to the middle distance train in the metropolitan area on 3rd. After 2020, we will introduce to Yokosuka line, Sobu line fast, which connects Kanagawa prefecture and Chiba prefecture via Tokyo.

JR East positions the E235 series which raised the comfort of passengers by using many liquid crystal screens in the car as the next generation standard type vehicle and aims to reduce the cost such as vehicle production and maintenance by mass introduction.

Replace all the Yamanote line vehicles with the E235 series by around the spring of 2008, when the Tokyo Olympic Games and Paralympic Games are scheduled. In addition, we will introduce the formation for medium range trains equipped with green cars and toilets even in 2020 to the Yokosuka line and Sobu line, whose old vehicles are becoming obsolete. It is a policy to introduce it sequentially to Tokaido line connecting Tokyo and Shizuoka prefecture east, Saitama prefecture and Gunma prefecture, Takasaki line connecting Tochigi prefecture, Tohoku line and so on.

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 3

God no. Please no.

The E235 might look acceptable in the lime green livery of the Yamanote line, buth what kind monstruosity would it become with the Yokosuka colors!?

Option A                        Option B                        Option C

6 minutes ago, Socimi said:

God no. Please no.

The E235 might look acceptable in the lime green livery of the Yamanote line, buth what kind monstruosity would it become with the Yokosuka colors!?

I think neither of the links are correct. The door colors would probably be tan/blue or full blue stripe above the doors, with a tan/blue division or bare stainless steel doors below that. For the front, i think the option A variant is likely as the line colors should be shown in a tan/blue stripes format. My preference would be gray/stainless front with tan/blue stripe under the windscreen and tan/blue stripes above the doors. The doors themselves could be covered by ads, so those imho could not really be used as part of the above door line indicator striping.

Two variants, that i think would be practical:

e253.png.fd88e74ea55225075ddcf1e32be8f626.png

Also let's not forget, that a completly new front design is possible as it's just a cover plate for the actual flat front of the train, very much how some mobile phones had removable front/back cover plates in the past.

• Like 1
trainsforever8

Plus seeing how the Yamanote line had a unique front design for its E231 series, it's very possible the E235 series running on other lines look different (I hope). Also, since the Yamanote line is Tokyo's iconic train line, it's possible that it received a special ad-friendly livery design since it's the line that's most likely to receive them. The other lines might keep the stripes on the side just like the E233. 

Theres been quite a few of these possible new liveries posted on Twitter. Some arent half bad, but I agree the flat front makes multicolored liveries hard to pull off.

Been wondering for a while now what would replace the E217 series.  It will definitely be interesting to see how these E235s differ from the Yamanote line version.

6 hours ago, trainsforever8 said:

My japanese isn't good enough to translate a whole article so here's google's translation (if anybody would be willing to properly translate this, it would be appreciated).

It's actually quite a reasonable rendering by Google Translate, except it interprets "20年" as "Heisei 20" (2008) rather than the intended 2020.

trainsforever8

Haha yeah I did notice the 2008 mistake.

Well, we just have to hope we'll be pleasantly surprised. Also, once the Yokosuka line design will be revealed, it will be easy to guess what the Tokaido line version will look like!

Talking about this, I've noticed the Tokaido line's E233 sound different from the ones operated on the Keihin-Tohoku line for example, probably because it's designed for longer distance, therefore I also wonder how the "long distance" E235 will sound! There are so many details to look forward to!

It's actually quite nice ~ Perhaps i'm just a fan of the E235 weird face!

But isn't the E235 fitted with preference to 'Stop and Go' operation? Wouldn't that be non ideal for placing the E235 on long distance service like the Tokaido line? 

trainsforever8
2 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

It's actually quite nice ~ Perhaps i'm just a fan of the E235 weird face!

But isn't the E235 fitted with preference to 'Stop and Go' operation? Wouldn't that be non ideal for placing the E235 on long distance service like the Tokaido line? 

Just like how the E231 and E233 have long distance variants on the Tokaido line, I think they will do the same thing with the E235

We could potentially see the end of the E231-1000s following the introduction of the E235s on the Shonan-Shinjuku, Tokaido, Utsunomiya, Takasaki and Ueno-Tokyo Lines. They’re reaching 15 years of age already.... 

I do wonder how the E235s will sound like for long-distance shifts. Currently, I really dislike how they sound on the Yamanote Line

That design is not that bad, the top double stripe is logical, the middle one looks like on current stock, but could be covered by ads and will be covered by platform doors. The front is a bit meh, but it was suggested by one of the fantasy designs above and clear enough. Reminds me of the ancient early JNR single color Tokaido stock with warning panels on the fronts below the windscreens.

Ughh and I here I was hoping the awful Yamanote Line E235 front was a one-off design. I also find the Yokosuka livery to be also applied in a much worse way than the Yamanote livery. Looks like we are stuck with these ugly beasts for a while.

Again, remember that most of the to-be replaced E231s are planned to be moved to secondary lines where they will replace older trains such as the 205 and 209 series.

4 minutes ago, Densha said:

Again, remember that most of the to-be replaced E231s are planned to be moved to secondary lines where they will replace older trains such as the 205 and 209 series.

I don't have a source right now, but apparently they'll also be cascaded out to replace 211s.

trainsforever8

I'm quite happy with the design tbh. My main concern really was the sides of the train.

However, about the green car's design, I'm surprised they will also have the single sliding door design because I remember seeing that the green cars that are to be added to the Chuo-line will have double sliding doors instead, therefore I assumed that it would be JR East's new standard. 

1 hour ago, trainsforever8 said:

However, about the green car's design, I'm surprised they will also have the single sliding door design because I remember seeing that the green cars that are to be added to the Chuo-line will have double sliding doors instead, therefore I assumed that it would be JR East's new standard. 

I did wonder about that too; however the green car shown in the PDF looks exactly the same as an existing Saro 217, so either they don't have a concept for the new green car, or are planning to reuse the old ones.

2 minutes ago, railsquid said:

I did wonder about that too; however the green car shown in the PDF looks exactly the same as an existing Saro 217, so either they don't have a concept for the new green car, or are planning to reuse the old ones.

Considering that they are trailers, so there are no traction or auxilarity equipment in the cars, it's quite possible like the platform door cars were reused on the Yamanote.

trainsforever8
2 hours ago, kvp said:

Considering that they are trailers, so there are no traction or auxilarity equipment in the cars, it's quite possible like the platform door cars were reused on the Yamanote.

It's a possibility, however, if that were the case I have a feeling they would have announced their intention to do that just like they did when they announced they were going to keep some E231 cars for the new formation.

Maybe they simply didn't bother displaying the complete design and we'll end up having more renderings in the future?

I wonder why the "regular" E235 hasn't been considered for the Musashino Line or (especially) the Chūō-Sōbu Line service first.

Since the chuo-sobu line trains will have changes and alterations to platform lengths etc. I'm guess they didn't wanna get in a new fleet of train. Just to modify them again 2 years later.

Plus the E233s aren't anywhere near as old as E217s.

Longitudinal seats only for non-Green cars.  I guess it's to be expected but finding a semi-cross seating car when I was in Tokyo was always a treat.