Scary training

Jr west decided to do some very close in safety training to impress on safety employees how any loose parts could be dangerous on the Shinkansen. But rationale seems iffy at best...

i think one commenter is right, densha otaku would pay handsomely for this experience! 

https://japantoday.com/category/national/safety-staff-made-to-sit-right-next-to-bullet-trains-running-at-300km-h

from Christopher Hood jtrains yahoo forum.

cheers

jeff

I would do it in a minute - camera in hand.  We were on the platform at Odawara last spring waiting for our train when several others passed on center tracks at a pretty good speed - maybe as much as 200 kph.  That was most excellent.

I do agree that no one should be forced to experience it.  Probably the risk is minimal, but it might be too intense for some.

17 minutes ago, katoftw said:

light debris being sucked along and hitting me at 300kph doesn't interest me

Yes, that makes it sound less fun. But I think I'd do it anyway. They do get to wear a helmet!

Edited by gavino200

One of those thrill things that’s so cool once you have the successful experience or seems so daring and life affirming, but if anything goes wrong it then seems soooo stupid in retrospect... (guilty of it many times in my life!).

jeff

20 hours ago, Suica said:

JR West strikes again.

Learned literally nothing from Amagasaki.

Old habits seems to die hard. Or just keep resurrecting.

What actually amazes me, is that standing that close to a speeding train could be angist the national or even the company's own saftey rules.

For example, here in Italy, workers doing maintainance or just walking on active high-speed railway lines, are required (both by national law and company rules) to be atleast 5m (3m for conventional lines) away from the nearest rail (to the workers themselves) of an approaching train's track.

I wonder if the company might get sued by the railwaymen's union.

Edited by Socimi
trainsforever8

I would actually be willing to pay for such an experience lol, this could be turned into a railfan attraction.

About the unsafe part, what happens if the train pulls with it debris? You don't see those coming and I'm pretty sure standing at a station platform is sufficient to witness how fast the trains are actually going, no? 

IIRC, somewhere on the Tokaido Shinkansen, there's a very low underbridge of the kind where the rails are laid on girders, and you can experience the trains passing from underneath.

16 minutes ago, railsquid said:

IIRC, somewhere on the Tokaido Shinkansen, there's a very low underbridge of the kind where the rails are laid on girders, and you can experience the trains passing from underneath.

Or maybe this is the place I was thinking of:

That was pretty cool.

There is a normal elevated Shinkansen track very close to my MIL apartment and if you go outside and stand by it you can hear the Shinkansen go by but you don't have that cool view!