Painting rails

Hayashi

What are the recommendations for painting rails? I'm not interested in taping and spraying. I was thinking more of brushing the insides and outsides or using Floquil Paint Markers. Have never used them and wondered if anyone has any experience.

Markers work. Actually Tomix has a set of rust markers too, that could be used for the tracks too. I used one for Z scale Rokuhan tracks and it was very easy to paint the rails.

Personally i think the best looking results could be achived with Revell 37 (matt reddish brown). It could be thinned for spraying or applied as is with a very fine brush. It's easier to make mistakes with a brush than a marker, but the cover is much better in a single go while most paint markers need multiple paint and dry passes to get a thick enough paint cover on the rails.

• Like 1

kvp,

Thanks. My goal is good looks, but without spending a lot of time. There will be a lot of track. I guess the comparison will be thick paint with a brush (1 coat maybe) versus multiple coats with markers.

nscalestation

I have had very good results on Kato track using the Floquil markers.  I have found the key to getting good coverage with a marker is to shake the marker very well before using so the paint pigment is well mixed.  There is a ball bearing inside like in a spray can and you should be able to hear that rattling when you shake it.

• Like 1