JNR Passenger Cars Liveries 1950-1980

Hello,

can someone tell me more about Liveries for Passenger Cars of the JNR from the 50s to the 70s? I know older Cars were brown, those newer were blue, some hat blue or red stripes.

Can someone give me an overview which Liveries were actual used for this Timeline?

Edited by Steve

First brown, with various white stripes for older (prewar) and rebuilt cars. Then blue with various white stripes for older and newer cars, later mostly for sleeper trains. And from the 1970ies red with various white stripes for the 50 series cars that ran with AC electrics and diesels.

ps: During the transition period, mixed brown and blue car trains were common.

Edited by kvp
25 minutes ago, Steve said:

What about Passenger Cars in Brown with blue or red stripes?

The brown paint was also used by the JGR, the predecessor of the JNR. I don't really know much about the various paints used by them, but there were some really nice ones, like for example the one used by the JGR 52 series EMU. The JNR took over these cars and slowly repainted and mostly rebuilt them into blue ones, but this was a very slow process and the last brown paint 12 series commuter EMUs finally retired from JREast service, so they carried the classic brown livery through JGR/JNR/JRE eras. A green line was also in use for the 'green' cars, but i think by that time, the old 3 class (1st/2nd/3rd aka. I/Ro/Ha) system was already retired. Besides the white and green lines, some cars had yellow lines and later, mostly in the 1980-ies some really nice custom designs, but little to do with the actual car class.

ps: Nowdays some luxury trains have 'I' tags, that denotes the 1st class, 'Ro' was 2nd class, nowdays called 'green class' and 'Ha' was third class, nowdays standard class. Afaik the red stripe was 3rd class and blue meant 2nd.