updating my track viaduct station layout

jrcrunch

hi, 

sorry created a new thread. been MIA here for 2 years i think haha.

currently my initial plan is to run 2 trains on the viaduct station but the table i built is wide enought for a station expansion. 

the  current station got  SIX (6) kato 20-004 tracks

1463917299_viaductstationfinalextended.thumb.jpg.d401183068e7f268d263ad2b19c97419.jpg

thinking of expanding my kato viaduct station so i can see more trains and look a busier station. with 2 running and 2 parked. then switch them at some time. so there are 4 trains on my elevated tracks

just need help on what tracks to buy.  just don't want to waste so much extra tracks

my shopping list so far:  am i doing it right?

kato 20-000-- reuse

kato 20-010 4 pack: 1 order

kato 20-000 4 pack: 2 orders, 2 tracks extra

kato 20-160 4 pack: 1 order

kato 20-030 2 pack: 2 orders

kato 20-221 right turn out 1 pack: 2 orders

kato 20-220 left turn out 1 pack: 2 orders

what is S60R and S60L? what is the item code for this?

what island platforms should i buy? and how much?

601303319_viaductstationfinalextended4train.thumb.jpg.671f34b30133aefb0ede1e3e6bf89a64.jpg

20180818_181002.thumb.jpg.1a4fafd466681dd05ef1e1f559bbcd25.jpg20180818_184313.thumb.jpg.397fbd7c4ab743cd2bee552276f0437a.jpg

how do you run through wires on viaduct station so i can put turnout control? do i have to drill holes on the viaduct track plates?

20180818_181009.thumb.jpg.da466633c9fbdffba2703555a2f0cc1f.jpg

appreciate the help. thank you very much

Edited by jrcrunch
  • Like 1

The S60L/R pieces come with the R481 turnouts.  You get one L and one R pieces per turnout pack.

You station is quite short comparing it against the doctor yellow I see.  If you use flat end platforms, you'll fit 4 cars, curved end platforms will fit 6 cars.

7 hours ago, katoftw said:

The S60L/R pieces come with the R481 turnouts.  You get one L and one R pieces per turnout pack.

You station is quite short comparing it against the doctor yellow I see.  If you use flat end platforms, you'll fit 4 cars, curved end platforms will fit 6 cars.

thank you for the reply.

for S60L/R? you mean by this? included in the 20-221 set? the 2 smaller pieces?

kato-n-unitrack-electric-right-hand-switch-20-221.jpg.7bb4b16b9042f9d61a7cfa4a7d57ca78.jpg

do you know the item code for the island curved end platform? my trains are 7 or 8 cars long. sorry don't know how to identify tracks well.. just item code of the product.. still very new to this hobby

here is now my updated shopping list

Kato 20-863 V4 set x2

Kato 20-030 s64 2pcs x4

Kato 20-010 186mm 4pcs x1

Kato 23-105 island platform ends x2

thank you katoftw again for the inputs

for the middle island platform, how many should i add based on my track layout?

23-100 x4 or x2?

23-101 x2?

Edited by jrcrunch

Depends on how you want you station to look.

One has strairs downwards intothe platform.  And one does not have stairs, but a kiosk instead.

You want 2 248mm section per island. At least one with stairs.

So you can get 2 stair section per island and have multiple access points like a realy station etc.

• Like 1

Jrcrunch,

About the wires yes you do need to drill holes for the wires if you want them totally hidden. You can try to route them out corners or between wall sections if you make little divits wall ends for the wires to fit between sections but they will probably be pretty visible. You can trace out the track with a pencil once in position and then figure out where to punch holes for the points. It’s best to clip off the Kato connectors and just retire them else you have to punch very big holes for them to pass thru. Just strip wires and resolver and insulate with heat shrink. You can add a appropriate lenght piece of wire onto the point wire to get it to your control area and then solder the Kato plug onto that once track and wire are installed.

if you are not poking holes elsewhere for power and points then I’d say route out the corners then. Running wires under the tracks will bump them up if you want to run the all to the back, so you need to add some shims out a ways to Help make the bump gentle.

if you are not looking at the backside of the layout against the wall there you can also cheat with the station and shop buildings and cut them in half and use both sided facing forward. A hacksaw will do it.

cheers

jeff

• Like 1
20 hours ago, katoftw said:

Depends on how you want you station to look.

One has strairs downwards intothe platform.  And one does not have stairs, but a kiosk instead.

You want 2 248mm section per island. At least one with stairs.

So you can get 2 stair section per island and have multiple access points like a realy station etc.

ohh understood. so 23-105 island  platform  A + 23-100 island platform + 23-101 island platform + 23-105 island platform B right?

that seems kinda short. maybe will just buy more in my japan trip November.  need to see the limit of my table first. so maybe these will do for now

thank you jeff! yes that will be may last thing to do..  will ask my friend to teach me how to some soldering haha. never tried it before

Yes do try some soldering. It’s really not difficult at all, it’s mostly practice. You can get a small iron and stand for $20 or less. Get some wire and jsut practice a bit,the more you do the better you get a feel for it and it gets easier and easier. Having someone show you helps a lot. Also lots of great videos on YouTube to watch. Again practice and you will get it quickly. Folks get frustrated when their first few solders don’t come out well, just takes some patience and practice.

Heat shrink tubing is great stuff. Basically insulation tube you slide over the wire the. Solder wire ends the. Slide the heat shrink over the solder joint and apply some heat with heat gun or side of the soldering iron from a small distance and it shrinks up around the wire tight.

cheers

jeff

• Like 1