Asakaze headscratchers

Welshbloke

I'm slowly assembling the Asakaze from Tomix items. What I can't figure out is how many different versions there have been of this train or for that matter how accurate the formation the box depicts is.

The basic set has an EF66, OhaNeFu 25-100 and OhaNe 25-100. The diagram on the box shows it expanding to three OhaNeFus, four OhaNes and a KaNi 24-100. The confusing part is that this appears shorter than prototype photos, and doesn't match the book sets Tomix have released. Did they make this up as a "close enough" using available models or was this an earlier formation?

I've had the basic set for years but notice that Tomix seem to have made more batches since. The fact that the OhaNe and OhaNeFu are currently available as single coaches has caused me to bring it out and expand it, I still need the two extra OhaNeFus but the rest is now in hand or on order. Luckily I bagged the KaNi the first time around as those don't seem to be easy to find!

Three or four different varients of consists. Katos version has diagrams also of the consists.

edit//  I just had a look at that EF66 3 car starter set.  It is the last formation in JR era.  So generator car plus sleepers.

There are also earlier versions with pantagraph cars.  The service ran for 30-40 years, so there are a few formations.

Edited by katoftw
scotspensioner

As I understand it the Kato 10-1177/8 Gold line represents the train run by JR East which ran through to Hakata.Ibelieve it was withdrawn in 1995 and the coaches were sent to Aomori where they were winter proofed for use in services up there.Interestingly the prototype Restaurant car from the 10-1177 set was at Tabata Sidings on a very recent YouTube video.

The replacement train was supplied by JR West and the coaches were the silver banded ones with the pantographs on the lounge car.Sets 10-1484/5 represent this train which terminated at Shiminoseki It came off in 2005 and many of the coaches were given to Thailand where they are still in service.

Kato produced a Farewell Asakaze set as 10-249 in 2005 which I obtained recently on eBay while I have a 10-1177 which I bought as a substitute for a Hokutosei to run with my EF510 - I later acquired a correct Hokutosei!!

Hope this helps

Edited by scotspensioner
Correction

Mine has silver banding and no restaurant car, just sleepers and a generator van. Motive power is the EF66 but it'll probably see action behind an EF30 and EF64-1000 as well, part of my reason for building it is as a fairly generic "Blue Train".

Also working on a Fuji but only have a couple of SuHaNeFu 15s and an EF81-300 so far, hopefully Tomix will re-release the OHaNe 15s at some point.

Yep, they just don't appear to be in stock anywhere! I'm using more recent models of the OHaNe and OHaNeFu 25-100 for the Asakaze as the 8510 and 8509 were already discontinued by the time I bought the basic set. The only difference is that the new interiors have a bit more detail and there are clips for body mount TN couplers. I'm using bogie mount ones to keep the spacing even with the older stock. The bodies are the same tooling and the paint matches well enough for me, for some reason the two I've had so far didn't come with rub on numbers though. Luckily the KaNi came with a sheet covering various sleepers.

You really need to start looking at buying the full 6/7 car sets over buying the individual jewel case car sets.  Much easier and quicker process.

• Like 1
scotspensioner
15 minutes ago, katoftw said:

You really need to start looking at buying the full 6/7 car sets over buying the individual jewel case car sets.  Much easier and quicker process.

I'm on the other side of the fence using Kato but I've been very fortunate.I bought my Gold Band Asakaze half set brand new but the Hokutosei, Cassiopeia and Twilight Express were all bought secondhand from Hattons.The 2005 issue Asakaze farewell set was on eBay.

If they hadn't come up I wouldn't have had them!

The one major problem I had were damaged end coaches in the Cassiopeia which I got cheap but I happily paid out for a 10-1441 Cassiopeia cruise pack to solve that problem

It's only by chance that I have the 2015/6 Tomix Catalogue.

Edited by scotspensioner
Add on comments

Normally I would, this is a case of trying to make coherent trains from a few odd locos and coaches I bought about ten years ago. At the time I didn't realise how quickly Japanese models sell out or indeed how difficult it can be to source them later on.

scotspensioner
7 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

Normally I would, this is a case of trying to make coherent trains from a few odd locos and coaches I bought about ten years ago. At the time I didn't realise how quickly Japanese models sell out or indeed how difficult it can be to source them later on.

Now I understand where you're coming from.

I'm a relative newcomer who just got lucky,I suppose! Best of luck with your endeavours.