Quinntopia Selling Out

bill937ca

Gonna be some interesting stuff for sale.  I think he'll be surprised what some of his models will go for.  Building, not so much.

I'm not surprised. He's an interesting but restless guy. I bet he's just become obsessed with some new hobby. Best of luck to him. He's been both an inspiration and a guide to me. I just hope he doesn't take down the site! 

Edited by gavino200
1 hour ago, gavino200 said:

I'm not surprised. He's an interesting but restless guy. I bet he's just become obsessed with some new hobby. 

He's started a advertising business which demands his time and money.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, gavino200 said:

It uses the so-called X-Bus.   I wonder if there are any X-Bus to Loconet adapters out there that convert protocol (and wiring)?

I know that there are Digital control boxes like the Digikeijs and I think the Z21 that have both onboard.

2 hours ago, chadbag said:

It uses the so-called X-Bus.   I wonder if there are any X-Bus to Loconet adapters out there that convert protocol (and wiring)?

I know that there are Digital control boxes like the Digikeijs and I think the Z21 that have both onboard.

One bus talks the Loconet protocol, the other Xpressnet. Any central or a PC could translate between them, but the command format, the address mapping and the whole communication protocol even the voltage levels are completly different.

Also Multimice have a small problem with scaling, the handsets are the DCC centrals and the big box is just the booster. If you want to connect multiple ones, you'll have to daisy chain them properly up to 4 or use only wires with the two side wires missing for the slaves, otherwise any two masters will drive the railsync wires at the same time with different signals. Loconet has a shared bus system, where more than one throttle could be connected to the same bus and unplugging your throttle doesn't take the DCC signal off the tracks.

Z21 has a relatively simple solution for this, they don't support railsync in/out on Loconet or Xpressnet (this also disables most occupancy detectors). And you _must_ use a 4 central conductor only modded wire to connect the Z21 to any standard Loconet system or the magic smoke gets out. So kind of works as long as you only use the supported throttles and no external boosters or accessories.

On the other hand, the item in question is not just a thottle, it's a full DCC system, with central and booster rolled into one. It could be expanded with up to 3 jump throttles and 3 add-on Xpressnet boosters.

Thanks!  INteresting how they made that.

I have the Digikeijs DR-5000 so I assume it does the magic internally to support both?  I am using the wireless multiMAUS that FLeischmann / Roco has with it and not a wired throttle.  I'd thought of getting a wired one as an extra and assume, based on yoru comments. I would need to use a wire with the "slave" config you mentioned since the DR-5000 is the command central box.

12 hours ago, chadbag said:

Thanks!  INteresting how they made that.

I have the Digikeijs DR-5000 so I assume it does the magic internally to support both?  I am using the wireless multiMAUS that FLeischmann / Roco has with it and not a wired throttle.  I'd thought of getting a wired one as an extra and assume, based on yoru comments. I would need to use a wire with the "slave" config you mentioned since the DR-5000 is the command central box.

Yes, any central could support multiple throttle protocol stacks as they can support multiple track protocols (like DCC and SX). In this case just use a cable where the two side wires are missing. Most standard phone cables are 4 wires with 6 pins plugs.

ps: Your central even has a loconet T and B bus, T is for throttles (and accessories) and has 12V on the railsync lines and B is for boosters (and occupancy detectors) and has the DCC data on the railsync lines. The xpressnet is a combined connector and the special wire should go between the throttle and a T splitter if you have more than one wired throttle. Using T splitters with connectors that only have the central 4 pins works too.

• Thanks 1