JR Kyushu introduces 821 and YC1 series.

Enroute to Kyushu. Video by superknightrider3000

Edited by bill937ca

These look really nice, but I worry that they may spell the end for the kiha 66/67 sets on Seaside Liner services on the Omura line.  Hopefully they will be beneficial to reducing the cost of running on local lines.

Das Steinkopf
1 hour ago, katoftw said:

Probably get rid of the last 40s 47s and 48s.

I dare say a few will remain in service, especially those used for Joyful Trains as it would cost a fair bit of money to scrap the current units and convert the new trains into those roles, not only that they just don't have the character or charm that the KiHa 47's have, those that are scrapped will probably become a handy source for spare parts to keep the remaining units running.

• Like 1

Yeah I probably should have used the wording 'standard' with those units. As I didn't mean to include the operational joyful teain in my statement.

I wonder where the YC1's are going to be assigned. Will it be mostly in the northern half of Kyushu? That is unless it will supplement the 25 KiHa 125's already in JR Kyushu service.

As for the 821's, I wonder will they be dual-voltage capable? That would make them useful on the Kokura to Shimonoseki run through the Kannon Tunnel, since the Kannon Tunnel itself uses 1,500 V DC overhead power like the rest of JR West zairaisen electrified lines. The JNR era 415's are getting way up there in years and need replacement soon.

Edited by Sacto1985

from railfan.jp

https://railf.jp/news/2018/01/26/201000.html

JR Kyushu is introducing two new trains, based on the 817 series design.

The 821 series will be a 3-car set EMU with SiC-VVVF inverters planned to replace the existing resistor-controlled 415 series trains in the Fukuoka area. 40 sets in total will be built.

The YC1 will be a 2 car set hybrid DMU planned to replace the remaining KiHa 66/67 series units in the Nagasaki area.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My usual question, Kato could you please pick these models up for production?  🙂 They will join perfectly with your 813s and boost up their sales. 

While you are at it, please also pick up the 811s and 817s so GreenMax can kiss their 817s goodbye. No need for thanks just a free 811 model will be great. Thanks Kato Japan!

Edited by JR 500系
  • Haha 2

The news from railf.jp still doesn't mention what train sets will replace the aging 415 Series train sets on the Shimonoseki to Kokura service through the Kanmon Tunnel, which requires 1,500 V DC operation from the south entrance of the Kannon Tunnel to Shimonoseki.

Edited by Sacto1985
correct spelling
6 hours ago, Sacto1985 said:

The news from railf.jp still doesn't mention what train sets will replace the aging 415 Series train sets on the Shimonoseki to Kokura service through the Kanmon Tunnel, which requires 1,500 V DC operation from the south entrance of the Kannon Tunnel to Shimonoseki.

There are actually two types of 415 series trains:

One is the 415-0 "115 series-style" introduced in 1971, wich is being replaced by new EMUs such as the 817 and 821 series...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/97/JNR_415-0-FM9-Kagoshima_Main_Line-Dazaifu-20090904-161546.jpg

...and the other is the 415-1500 "211 series-style" introduced in 1986, wich i think will keep on running trough the Kanmon tunnel for atleast 10/15 more years, until the announcment of a new dual-mode EMU.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f2/JRE_415_1500.JPG

Edited by Socimi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, miyakoji said:

I wonder why they didn't give that a new series number, seems like a completely different machine.

There might have been two reasons:

1) 417 (1978) and 419 (1984) series numbers were both already taken before the introduction of the 415-1500 series in 1987.

2) The 415-1500 series is actually the 415-0 series equipment in a lighter 213 series bodyshell.

Motors, controls, pantographs and auxiliaries remain the same, so there aren't actually any big differences.

Edited by Socimi
  • Like 1

What were they even thinking with the lightning choice for the YC1 series? Was someone a fan of amusement parks or something?

Edited by cteno4
Fixed twitter embed
  • Confused 2

At least no one can use the excuse "didn't see it coming" now 😄

I've seen this in on few other recent japanese trains that the outer skin is really uneven, looking like they threw shiny aluminium foil over it and tacked it down which makes the it look rather cheap/ugly in certain lighting conditions.
At least it only seems to affect some of the new trains, maybe it is just one specific manufacturer doing this?

Edited by Gryphr
5 hours ago, Gryphr said:

At least no one can use the excuse "didn't see it coming" now 😄

I've seen this in a few other recent japanese trains but in these pictures it's really visible: The outer Hull. It looks really cheap/not well done, as if someone had just wrapped some blank Aluminium foil around the train and tacked it on with rivets, didn't even care about making it smooth, it's really uneven. I really hope this trend won't continue since it makes the trains look uglier.
At least it only seems to affect some of the new trains, maybe it is just one specific manufacturer doing this?

Nowdays many trains are stir welded, so riveting is not as common as in the past. This single 2 car set seems to be a special exception, but i don't know why. The 821 series has a nice and smooth roofline and single piece sidewalls. (the YC1 seems to have horizontally split sidewalls)