Why does my ticket/pass never get checked on the Mizuho shinkansen yet always checked between Osaka and Tokyo?

bluejeans

I heard it was because JR central had the shinkansen making up 90% of their profit.  Also to the north I don't recall any.  Apart from perhaps the Hayabusa.

All limited express trains also?

I don't recall being checked on the sunrise seto, though I did voluntarily show my ticket to find my carpet car area.

Edited by bluejeans
6 minutes ago, bluejeans said:

I heard it was because JR central had the shinkansen making up 90% of their profit.  Also to the north I don't recall any.  Apart from perhaps the Hayabusa.

All limited express trains also?

I don't recall being checked on the sunrise seto, though I did voluntarily show my ticket to find my carpet car area.

We noticed that we never got checked on any train this past trip (over Christmas) (including on the Tokaido Shinkansen -- Osaka -- Tokyo).    On the Shinkansen, they now carry an iPad or tablet or similar and know in real time which seats should be occupied on which stretches and they seem to just check when something is out of place from what they expect.  It was different this past trip compared to the trips previously, when they usually would check at least once.

hhmmm interesting ~ 

My guess would be that the Osaka-Tokyo leg is the most travelled leg for both tourist and locals... Especially more so for first timers to Japan with a Rail Pass, hence it would seem to be more often checked by conductors to ensure first timers know where to sit and which train to board. Perhaps Mizuho trains are less rode on by first timers, hence JR would assume that they know the rules of the Pass? 

As for Limited Express trains, I am sure we were almost checked everytime, probably because we were riding on the Green Cars (we have a Green Pass)… The one that was checked almost immediately once we boarded was the Yokosuka Line bound for Kamakura, probably because we used the Bi-level green cars and each green car had an inspector/ customer service to check on all the customers...