Installing DN163K0a , Help.

domino

I just dont get it, i did get much help from other threads here in DCC sections, but i not sure i got it right .

Do i have to isolated the brass pick up rails completly or just some of it,the instruction says "in between the dotted lines" if i ONLY isolate in between the dotted lines there will still be some brass pick up that is in contact with the decoder ??

Please dont just refer to another link here in DCC section, but really cut it out for me, and some photo if you have any.

Like 1: do this 2: do this 3: do this  ect

Im an ass when it comes to any thing with electricity, i once blow all lights in my house putting up x-mas lights :-(

Thanks in advance

Brian

domino

post-164-13569923202505_thumb.jpg

Hello Domino,

You only have to insulate the motor leads from the brass pick up rails, so isnsolate 1cm in bot directions from the motor pickup. Dont worry if you make a mistake the decoder will blink its light bt wont get destroyed.

Greetings,

Railzilla

The decoder will in fact make contact with the brass pickup rails—it has to get power somehow, yeah? :D

The thing is: You don't want the brass pickups to contact the motor tabs (the pointy things sticking up)—that's the short that the kapton tape is meant to prevent. Normally, of course, the tabs would make solid contact with the pickups. But the decoder's design is to sit between the two, isolating them. Of course, nothing is perfect: The tabs can still make contact with the edges of the pickups, but that's what the tape is there for :D

Hope that helps!