Throttles/cabs compatible with a Digitrax Super Chief

gavino200

I like my Digitrax system. It's works quite well and does what I need it to do. It's a "Super Chief". But I hate the Cab/Throttle/Hand held control. And my son hates it too. I have two DT500s (or close variation). I'm fine using these for programming. But for general running I'd like something more fun, with just the basic controls - just the things I need to run a train - or rather two trains. I don't have the first clue where to go to find a non-digitrax hand control that works with Digitrax. I don't even know if such a thing exists. 

First the things I like about the DT500

1. It's not a terrible size - fits well in even a small hand.

2. It has a screen.

3. It has two knobs

Now the things I don't like

1. It has millions of buttons. Most of these I never use. They can be easily pushed by accident making weird things happen. Frustrating for a child.

2. The actual buttons suck. They get stuck down.

3. It's very ugly. 

Anyone have any knowledge or suggestions?

PS. I don't want to use the PC/JMRI/Cellphone setup. Takes too much time to set up and I find it's a bit glitch. My layout computer is an old laptop that's very slow.

The intelliboxes are centrals. We are talking about handheld throttles like the digitrax UT series and the fremo Fred and Fred-i series.

I have two Fred-i2-s with the analog speed kbob option. The knob is for regulating the speed, the 3 position switch is reverse/stop/forward. The small buttons are emergency stop and functions. For dispatch (clear), you have to push and hold multiple buttons in a hard to press arrangement. The main controls and the small feedback leds are pretty much set up as the classic fremo analog controller.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, kvp said:

The intelliboxes are centrals. We are talking about handheld throttles like the digitrax UT series and the fremo Fred and Fred-i series.

I have two Fred-i2-s with the analog speed kbob option. The knob is for regulating the speed, the 3 position switch is reverse/stop/forward. The small buttons are emergency stop and functions. For dispatch (clear), you have to push and hold multiple buttons in a hard to press arrangement. The main controls and the small feedback leds are pretty much set up as the classic fremo analog controller.

The Freds are maybe a bit too stripped down. I'd like to at least have a number pad to enter loco numbers. It seems the market for these is for anxty owners to allow strangers to run trains on their system, with as little chance as possible of them doing damage. What I want is as much control as possible of the common things I do (this isn't much), without a gizillion odd buttons getting pressed. 

I might try the Digitrax UT

Pros:

1. Fewer buttons.

2. Decent size

Cons:

1. No screen

2. Ugly Digitrax pseudo 1980s design.

3. The same crappy buttons that get stuck down.

5 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

It seems the market for these is for anxty owners to allow strangers to run trains on their system, with as little chance as possible of them doing damage.

For example when you want to give them to a kids? Otherwise they are originally meant to be cheap Fremo throttles when the loco numbers are assigned to throttles before the event and must not be changed. (one locomotive = one address = one throttle => works just like an analog controller with automagic cab selection)

6 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

I'd like to at least have a number pad to enter loco numbers.

You might also want to check out the Uhlenbrock Daisy series. Nice digital speed control knob, big buttons and a small display. They even have locomotive databases so you can select them from a list, without remembering each address.

14 minutes ago, kvp said:

For example when you want to give them to a kids? Otherwise they are originally meant to be cheap Fremo throttles when the loco numbers are assigned to throttles before the event and must not be changed. (one locomotive = one address = one throttle => works just like an analog controller with automagic cab selection)

You might also want to check out the Uhlenbrock Daisy series. Nice digital speed control knob, big buttons and a small display. They even have locomotive databases so you can select them from a list, without remembering each address.

Thanks kv.

Digitrax has the LNWI WiFi loconet interface that allows you to skip the JMRI/PC business and use smartphone apps and compatible HW WiFI throttles.

I have one (still in the wrap).   Since I have not yet set its up I cannot comment on how well it works.

1 hour ago, Kiha66 said:

How about this one?  A little pricey but looks like fun to run with!

https://www.iascaled.com/store/MRBW-CST

It needs an XBee receiver, connected to a Raspberry PI, connecting through a WIFI gateway to Loconet. (4 separate products hacked together) A very complicated and really pricy solution, when a simple XBee to wired Loconet adapter would work nicely. (would be doable really cheap with an Arduino if the manufacturer would open source their protocol) Maybe it's worth it for some people, but imho the setup is a large collection of ugly and cheap hacks sold with a high price tag.

6 hours ago, kvp said:

The 'Daisy II' handset looks perfect. Will that work if I just plug it into a loconet jack? Or do I need anything else?

5 hours ago, chadbag said:

Digitrax has the LNWI WiFi loconet interface that allows you to skip the JMRI/PC business and use smartphone apps and compatible HW WiFI throttles.

I have one (still in the wrap).   Since I have not yet set its up I cannot comment on how well it works.

Good to know. Can you post a review after you try it?

9 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

The 'Daisy II' handset looks perfect. Will that work if I just plug it into a loconet jack? Or do I need anything else?

Looking at the manual for it, it appears to just plug in to the loconet jack.

9 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Good to know. Can you post a review after you try it?

I will report back when I get around to setting it up.   May be a while...

• Like 1

I want to buy a Daisy II. I can't find it anywhere in the USA, except one place on ebay for a ridiculous price. I found a few good deals on ebay Germany, but none of the well priced ones will send to the USA. 

I emailed Uhlenbrock. You can buy it from their site but there is no option for a non-German address. Modelbahn, doesn't have it. Anyone got any ideas?

The companies KM1 and Tillig seem to have the same product. 

https://www.eurorailhobbies.com/product.asp?ca=59&stock=KM1-430005

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Tillig-DAISY-II-Handregler-66204/382307626893?epid=1050317661&hash=item59034f6f8d:g:vJEAAOSwnTdaPn-T

What's with all the "no mailing to US" stuff? Is this product not licensed for the US market or something?

Edited by gavino200
On 7/11/2018 at 6:01 PM, chadbag said:

Looking at the manual for it, it appears to just plug in to the loconet jack.

That's a good idea. I should probably read the manual before deciding on buying one of these.

Edited by gavino200

A little concerning that they specifically mention a bunch of compatible systems, but no mention of  Digitrax.

"Der DAISY II Handregler (66 300, 66 350) ist ein Zusatz-Steuergerät für das DAISY II DCCDigitalset, alle Intelliboxen, sowie den Zentralen SystemControl 7, TwinCenter und Piko PowerBox."