Kato 20063 - Illuminated buffer?

gavino200

I have a few. The buffer blocks are larger than the old type and tend to come apart more easily. (top, light guide, track) That's a good thing btw. because you have to paint the wooden beams to make it look normal and it's a good idea to glue it together if you want to use it to stop trains. It's less detailed than the old type that had a smaller board and wire ducts on it below the main beam. But the new one lights up.

The light just works. It's powered off the track, so if you want constant light with power routing DC, then you'll need to isolate the light board and wire it up, otherwise only the selected track will light up. For DCC, it's ok out of the box.

Track length is 66mm, just a bit longer than the standard 64mm of unitrack, but the circuit board is much smaller, so it's possible to shorten the back side to make it fit if needed.

• Thanks 1

Thanks! I just ordered one to check it out. If I like it, I'll change out all of my yard buffers.

Nice! How did you get all 5 of them to light up? I am assuming since buffers are fitted at the end of parking yards, usually the yards will have switches and hence current usually only flow into one track, hence only one yard... 

Unless of course you are directly feeding them straight without the yard ~  🙂

7 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Nice! How did you get all 5 of them to light up? I am assuming since buffers are fitted at the end of parking yards, usually the yards will have switches and hence current usually only flow into one track, hence only one yard... 

Unless of course you are directly feeding them straight without the yard ~  🙂

My layout is DCC so all the tracks stay on, all the time. You could probably wire them. But it might me nice actually to have an "indicator" to show you which track is selected. I can't count the number of times I've caused crashes by driving a train onto the wrong track!

2 hours ago, gavino200 said:

My layout is DCC so all the tracks stay on, all the time. You could probably wire them. But it might me nice actually to have an "indicator" to show you which track is selected. I can't count the number of times I've caused crashes by driving a train onto the wrong track!

Yes, just tape the two contacts from the light board to the tracks and wire them up. It would be possible to have a button that shows the selected track but otherwise lights up everything. Or you can even add decoders.

• Like 1