Tomix Type 500 Shinkansen DCC conversion

gavino200

Wolf,

tip one side in so the tab on the bogie goes in the circular slot in the chassis hole there, then while pushing in towards the side slipped in also push the bogie down on the opposite side. Sometimes twisting a small arc while doing this helps. Should just pop in. Reverse the process to pop them out if needed.it’s a scary thing the first few time and you just end up getting the feel for it, but has the loop in my head a tiny bit of your are going to break this at times.

cheers,

jeff

• Like 1

Thanks!

Worked exactly as Jeff said. Also the reference sheet actually depictet to just apply pressure, I went with that, and they snapped on place.

Motorcar runs now, hope I can get to the head and tail car someday this week. Probably have to ask someone to re-solder the connection to the power pickup, i kind of dont trust my mess esprcially as one came off when I snapped the boogie in.

Any suggestions on interior Lighting Kits kn that note, this my first tomix where I would install it, no clue what to get.

• Like 2

There's a massive amount of discussion on lighting trains here. Everyone has their favorites. Personally, I'm leaning toward lightboards with capacitors and will be putting together some boards designed by @chadbag soon. But there are plenty of off-the-shelf solutions mentioned in this thread below.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Forum member SuperAzusa did a nice review article on the hktilc light boards

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/reviews/HKTILC.html

cheers,

jeff

Oh, I will have a look at these, love how they put a ton of smd-caps on the stripe to get an anti flicker, especially as in most passenger trains I dont see where to install a regular one without blocking windows.

Thanks for that pointer!

On 3/14/2019 at 4:49 PM, gavino200 said:

I wired up the cab lights using Chad's excellent method. It works great and I thoroughly recommend it. I'm very grateful as I don't think I would have come up with it myself. It's also very nice to use a bipolar decoder rather than messing with the light board. Bipolars are definitely the way forward.

NGDCC bipolar decoder http://www.snjpn.com/ngdcc/df19/df19x4bpss.htm

vJwCYJ3.jpg

oaWkngF.jpg

Interesting, I just found 4 of these NGDCC funtion decoders while doing decoder inventory. I was wondering what I used them for. It's time to start getting more organized. I need to record what decoders I put in what trains, and make profiles of the CVs that work best for them.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Interesting, I just found 4 of these NGDCC funtion decoders while doing decoder inventory. I was wondering what I used them for. It's time to start getting more organized. I need to record what decoders I put in what trains, and make profiles of the CVs that work best for them.

I have a spreadsheet.  I struggle to keep it up to date sometimes but it lists which decoder, special CV changes, as well as descriptive (era, color, running number, DCC ID, etc)

I also actually have multiple spreadsheets

One for European Locomotives

One for Japanese Locomotives

One for Shinkansen and HST

One for EMU/DMU/Tram

One for US / NA locomotives (I have just a few of these since it is not my interest area)

Edited by chadbag
  • Like 1