KATO Red Box basic sets

chadbag

Bought the KATO basic set 10-947 (HR 223-2500 Kansai Airport Express) and it came in a red box.  It does not say "Round House" on it, which is what the other red box (book case in this case) item I have says on it.   I've seen images of other red box items (basic sets).  What are the red box items and how are they different from the normal packaging items?  Why the red box?

Edited by chadbag
deleted misconception

They are made by Roundhouse, a sub division of Kato.  They take old models and make incorrect prototypical models using those old moulds.

6 minutes ago, katoftw said:

They are made by Roundhouse, a sub division of Kato.  They take old models and make incorrect prototypical models using those old moulds.

Thanks!  The other ones I had seen said "Roundhouse" on them and this one did not so I was not sure if there was something else.

The sales lit did say that the underside was incorrect for this sub series of the JR 223 series since it was based on another JR 223 series mould that had a different underside equipment setup than did the -2500 sub series but that did not bother me since I am not a rivet counter and when just observing it from above it looks fine in its role.

Thanks for the quick answer.

Yeah to tend to find the paint is correct.  But some features like doors, windows, underframes (as your said) are incorrect as they use the old moldings to save money.  This is normally because these roundhouse models are normally low volume sales.

AS for the packaging, maybe they have just changed it.  So if we view the new few roundhouse releases, this might answer you questions.

edit//

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=104&cat=rail&target=Make&searchkey=RoundHouse&spage=1

Looking at the last two years of releases (well march 2017) , the roundhouse logo is missing from the red boxed train sets.  Kyo-train from 2016 doesn't either, but 2015 releases do have the logo.  So the roundhouse logo disappeared 2015/2016 from red box sets.

Edited by katoftw
  • Thanks 1