Takara Tomy Linear Liner

bill937ca

Why didn't they have toys like this when were kids?  Just think how we would have turned out. Vrooom!  Video by YuTV

• Like 2

Is that like the old hot wheels thing that had a turning motor that pushed the car through each time it passed through the base station?

28 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

I want one!  I wonder how much the set costs?  

Sold out on HS. issued in September 2015, about the date of the videos.  $300. US.   Item Size/Weight : 60 x 45 x 30 cm / 5300g

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10324243

Did you see the size of the box in the second video?  I think it would have to be EMS. Eek!  😩

5500g to North America is $85.00 EMS or $75.50 SAL Parcel.  SAL Small Packet ends at 2000g.    https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/ems

Edited by bill937ca

JR central has one and now has it a events to show off technology. They spent most of their effort at the cherry blossom festival on mag lev with a dewer of liquid nitrogen and a superconducting magnet to demonstrate it hovering. I thought of suggesting to them they get the German superconducting mag lev set that’s only like $500 and just putting little maglev shells on them, but they are usually a bit cool to us so didn’t venture there.

I think it actually uses a linear drive from the description.

i ran across this one a while back and have thought of getting it to see how well it works, some reviews are bad, but things like ten to be very user dependent! Looks like a fun model to build and would be fun to have at shows as we are always talking mag lev with the public.

https://www.amazon.com/OWI-Magnetic-Levitation-Express-Mag-Lev/product-reviews/B071H81DWL/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

jeff

1 hour ago, chadbag said:

Is that like the old hot wheels thing that had a turning motor that pushed the car through each time it passed through the base station?

No, it's an actual maglev. The track has static neodymium magnets that repel the magnets in the train. A hall effect sensor in the nose senses the next incoming track magnet and generates the timing pulse for the train electromagnets to change polarity. This pulls the train along the static magnet chain in the track. Side guidance is by rollers, pretty much how the backup system works on the 1:1 prototype. (which is also steered by magnets during normal operation, but lands on rubber wheels in case of power loss)

Generally you have to push the model over one magnet by hand to start the self regulating control system. Top speed is limited by the battery power remaining and the magnetization speed of the drive coils. Afair the japanese ad video explained this with drawings.

• Thanks 1

Wow... the speed of the Meglev is enough to give me a headache looking at the thing fly in an oval!  😛

Not to mention the price.... 

• Like 1
Need for High Speed
On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:58 AM, JR 500系 said:

Wow... the speed of the Meglev is enough to give me a headache looking at the thing fly in an oval!  😛

Not to mention the price.... 

Would HO bullet trains flying around a small loop of track at full speed give you a headache? I had some one tell me once that my trains made them feel car sick seeing them go that fast, apparently my music did too...

and I think that maglev from Takara Tomy does actually levitate.

• Like 1
On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 3:07 AM, Need for High Speed said:

Would HO bullet trains flying around a small loop of track at full speed give you a headache? I had some one tell me once that my trains made them feel car sick seeing them go that fast, apparently my music did too...

and I think that maglev from Takara Tomy does actually levitate.

Haha actually it would!  🙂 

And for anyone who is still looking for this, here is a much 'better' price tag: https://plamoya.com/en/linear-liner-superconducting-linear-l0-system-special-set-p-129514.html?cPath=1014_1080 

Although these came out a fair few years ago.l, I do still see them around in model shops and the odd toy shop. I think they’re about ¥35000 and the box is enormous so definitely an expensive shipping item. 

What a great innovative model of an actual maglev that levitates and uses magnets to accelerate 

I succumbed the other night and ordered the OWI train the other night for $40 (not good having a few bucks cc rewards at amazon...). Looks like it could be quite fun and nice thing is the outside is all open so you can see it floating as it runs. Also kind of fun it’s a kit. If it works well I’ll try it at a few shows with the club layout as an educational piece. I have a static model of the jr test cars to put with it.

cheers

jeff

https://www.amazon.com/OWI-Magnetic-Levitation-Express-Mag-Lev/product-reviews/B071H81DWL/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

• Like 1

Yeah if I hadn’t been curious and searched on amazon to see if the plarail was there I would not have stumbled over this one! But at least it’s less than a fifth the cost of the Tomy!

jeff

• Like 2
Need for High Speed

Tomy makes some interesting stuff.

Wonder if you will ever buy a big lot of Tomy plarail from japan for people to play with at shows Jeff. Although I look forward to seeing that maglev model you bought looks cool.

But when your at Timonium this year you just might see a little bit of Plarail on display,  you never know...

Yeah we have thought of doing plarail for kids to play with, but usually just one too many things to do at shows. One member had a pile of his kids, bu later sold off. Any kid play stuff takes a lot of attention during shows and that can be tough to keep on top of all the time...

They have had Thomas plarail at timonimum shows in the kids area they had from time to time to let kids play. 

Jeff

We have my Linear Liner Set running on our annual Train Show in Kaltenberg (40kms west of Munich) since 2016. Due to ist sheer speed it's extremely popular with children. Next time will be Nov. 3rd and 4th this year.

27479054zb.jpg

27479055il.jpg

27479056bn.jpg

This set has no play value at all, all it can do is running in circles at ultra high speed. Once it runs, it runs, there is no connection to any sort of controller, as it literally flies on the track a few millimetres off the ground. The Station has a "stopping device" which is a beam that closes the track. The train will crash against it and comes to a very sudden stop, which is extremely popular with the parents around. I never saw track extensions or Switches (turnouts) for this Train, don't know if Tomy will do something like this, or even produce a 2nd generation train, which has a Radio controlled (or w-lan) connetion to adjust the speed.

Cheers,

Martin

• Like 4
1 hour ago, martin67 said:

This set has no play value at all, all it can do is running in circles at ultra high speed. Once it runs, it runs, there is no connection to any sort of controller, as it literally flies on the track a few millimetres off the ground. The Station has a "stopping device" which is a beam that closes the track. The train will crash against it and comes to a very sudden stop, which is extremely popular with the parents around. I never saw track extensions or Switches (turnouts) for this Train, don't know if Tomy will do something like this, or even produce a 2nd generation train, which has a Radio controlled (or w-lan) connetion to adjust the speed.

The original has no turnouts either as it's currently just a stretch of relatively straight track and all it could do is go from one end to the other and also stop at the station / visitor center in the middle. I think an infrared on/off control could be added to cut off the detector output pulses, so essentially when you activate it, it stops detecting the track magnets and stops propelling itself. Not too much of a feature, but it could be added to the current variant. The model has no start system either as it has to be started by nudging it along to the nearest magnet, so this probably is why a real stop functionality was omitted.

Afaik the prototype runs on wheels until it takes off and all turnouts and other track features have to be added to the rubber wheeled ground running area as the magnetic track technology doesn't allow any breaks in it. A transfer table like turnout is probably possible, but i've only seen that with beam type monorails.

ps: You have a nice display! As far as i can tell all the trains are H0 scale.

The pictures are from 2016 on our train show. We filled up the remaining space on the Linear Liner's tabel with japanese Lima HO Trains (and some others). Last year we did the same with South African Lima and this year on the upcoming event we will do something as well, but not finally known at this Moment. Maybe old Lima from the early days (late 50's and 60's).

As for the Linear Liner's operation, I know well, how it goes. In most cases you don't eben need to push it, once you open the brake bar of the station it will slightly move forward, which is enough to get the beast started. It's a great toy for shows and exhibitions, but quickly gets boring when you run it at home (and gets you a headache, especially in combination with alcohol :-))

Cheers,

Martin

• Like 1