JR Freight EF210 series renewal livery

Looks like the JR Freight EF210-0/100 series locomotives will receive a new livery based on the EF210-300 series livery.

• Like 2

EF210-107   Video by superknightrider3000

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 2

I think a reason they did this was to keep maintenance costs down. Complicated liveries on a train are expensive to upkeep; notice on the 300, 700, 700A and (soon) 700S Shinkansen trainsets, the color livery is kept pretty simple probably for this reason.

I've managed to individually photograph 98 out of the current total of 103 EF210-0, -100 and -300 series so if JRF are going to repaint them all in turn then I'll just have to go back to the start and begin to photograph them all over again, at least that's what I'll try to use as a reason with the household management to justify more trips to Japan in the future...😉

It's a pity that JRF have decided to remove their logo but presumably it is part of their moving towards greater collaboration with other freight companies such as Seino and FreightLiner. Is this a harbinger of JRF eventually ending up being sold off or taken over?

Edited by yakumo381
  • Like 3

How about the possibility that freight companies will own shares of JR Freight. JR Freight is very active on the Tokyo to Hakata corridor and they could work with the likes of Yamato Transport and Sagawa to turn that entire corridor into a high-speed freight corridor. Too bad Japan isn't on standard gauge because the country would have been perfect for RoadRailer service.

Edited by Sacto1985

Right now the number one issue with freight forwarders seems to be the lack of staff.  There is a move to use driverless trucks and to get customers to come out to the truck by contacting them with a smartphone and then have them remove the parcel themselves. With the two hour delivery windows and the obedience of the Japanese people this might just work.

Rail is only 5% of Japan's freight. Road and ship are about 45% each.

My source if you haven't seen it.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1