Look what's set for a Xmas time re-release ;)

Martijn Meerts

I've got one of those and it won't run on my layout and won't clear some Tomix switches.   ???  With all those covered wheels its very hard to get going too.

I put my pre-order in 3 days ago with HW.

Bill - This doesn't sound good, do you think it will do any better on peco turnouts, that is what I have on my layout.

I was surprised when Bill told me that it did not like the tomix points. Ive run my fine on the jrm layout on all our kato tracks and points and ran beautifully everywhere. even works on our inner loop on the figure 8 with tight radius turns and #4 points.

must be something about the geometry in the tomix points it does not like! bill could the side covers hit anything on the tomix points?

bummer... it is a beautiful train!

jeff

I was surprised when Bill told me that it did not like the tomix points. Ive run my fine on the jrm layout on all our kato tracks and points and ran beautifully everywhere. even works on our inner loop on the figure 8 with tight radius turns and #4 points.

must be something about the geometry in the tomix points it does not like! bill could the side covers hit anything on the tomix points?

bummer... it is a beautiful train!

jeff

It hit the manual switch throw on Tomix 1240 PY280-15 switch which is a 15 degree turnout and maybe others (but its harder to see for sure with platforms etc.).Those switches are a  very gentle curve.  With the Y switches I could get down and clearly see what was happening. Tomix documentation says it will run on a C243 curve, but my set would tilt and eventually derail on a C243 curve.

Between the getting  all the wheels on the track, clearing the Y switches it seemed like we barely got going and then were stopping.  The full train never did a full lap of the layout.  I've never had any problems with another train: Tomix, Kato, MicroAce or Greenmax.  

Martijn Meerts

Hmm.. Sounds like you might have been unlucky with that specific train, maybe something wrong with just that specific one. I can't imagine Tomix releasing a train that can't run on their own track.

Hmm.. Sounds like you might have been unlucky with that specific train, maybe something wrong with just that specific one. I can't imagine Tomix releasing a train that can't run on their own track.

My Odakyu Romance Car Type 50000 VSE runs fine too, no problem over Kato tracks and and switches but it is good to note that Tomix Finetracks might not be as forgiving as Unitracks.

Is there a warranty with Tomix?  If you purchase not from ebay, perhaps you can send your set to them for inspection.

unfortunately i dont thing we have anyone here in the area with the normal range of fine track and points to try our 50000s out on (just the mini tram track and points). we get it to run on r249 unitrak with no problems and we have a #4 turnout like 62mm from one of the curves.

might be the very low skirting on it. also wonder if there is a hang up in one of the hinging diaphragms. i had this on the tomix E4 where one of the rotating diaphragms was sticky in one direction so it would tilt the car up a tad when going around the curve and thus raise big potential for derailment...

cheers

jeff