Station passing loop... in Kato Tram track

AllScales

Not Japanese as such, but imagine the scenario:

1. A frequent suburban tram service running past the city central station

2. A low frequency (e.g. hourly) service to further destinations

3. The longer distance trams pause for a break outside central station

So what I’d like to do is to have the twin tracks split into a four track passing loop as it were. Is that possible with the Kato Tram track?

If you mean a passing siding on the inside and outside of a unitrak loop, then no not really. The points take both tracks off into sidings and at that point in the sidings you would need to regular unitrack for the passing sidings. Your passing sidings would then both be in either the inside or outside of the loop and you would need to crossover one track at the point to get over to the siding.

to do traditional passing sidings on either side of a double track unitrak you would need to do at whole bit in regular unitrak and make your own road over the unitrak roadbed.

Maybe do a quick sketch of what you are describing.

jeff

8 hours ago, AllScales said:

So what I’d like to do is to have the twin tracks split into a four track passing loop as it were. Is that possible with the Kato Tram track?

No passing sidings with Unitram track, 45 degree turns only.

Edited by bill937ca

Well the unitrak points go off at 45 so you could bring them into passing sidings with regular unitrak.

jeff

The problem with a passing loop in Unitram is the rigid geometry of Unitram. It is further restricted by the varying 25 and 33mm track centers on curves.There are no variable pieces, only fixed. There are no Unitram pieces that fit the gap.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by bill937ca

Hi Bill,

Yes, that is exactly what I found after days of frustrating experimentation...

Now trying to find the thread on Tomix Tram track!

Thanks!

You can roll your own straight sections of unitram the same way you do with unitrak. Just use a saw to cut a slice out of the center if a piece of straight track that is the width you want to shorten the track. This will require more careful cutting with unitram with the tracks embedded but you should be able to do it with slow and careful use of jewelers Saw and razor saw. Then remove the center chunk and slide the two end pieces together with the excess track sliding out one end. Then cut off the excess rail and file flush and glue the two ends together on the underside with some epoxy. Voila a custom length straight.

You can also do this with curves to make things like 5 and 15 degree turns and such, but it would be really hard with the unitram curves as they do the track separation change around curves.

cheers

jeff

On 6/25/2018 at 8:08 PM, kvp said:

One alternative is to use normal Kato Unitrack for the sidings.

Good point....

However over the last couple of weeks, I have changed the track plan quite a bit based on using Tomix track instead.

There were other problems with trying to build what I wanted, such as depot access. 

I think Tomix do road plates you can stick on R140 points? Hopefully there are ones for a diamond crossing too... I just can’t see them listed on PlazaJapan at the moment.

• Densha changed the title to Station passing loop... in Kato Tram track

Tomix Wide Tram Track offers 90 degree crossings but only in a set.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tomix-1799-Wide-Tram-Crossing-Track-Set-X37-90-WT-N-scale/362087153607?hash=item544e137fc7:g:R6MAAMXQMXRQ8EJd

Set Includes: 
2x 18.5mm Wide Tram Straight Track S18.5-WT(F)
4x 37mm Wide Tram Straight Track S37-WT(F)
2x 47.5mm Wide Tram Straight Track S47.5-WT(F)
1x Wide Tram Cross Track X37-90-WT(F)
16x Wide Tram Joiner

Edited by bill937ca
On 6/30/2018 at 2:00 PM, AllScales said:

Good point....

However over the last couple of weeks, I have changed the track plan quite a bit based on using Tomix track instead.

There were other problems with trying to build what I wanted, such as depot access. 

I think Tomix do road plates you can stick on R140 points? Hopefully there are ones for a diamond crossing too... I just can’t see them listed on PlazaJapan at the moment.

The track covers will work with the R140 points but only 90 degree crossings. The 72.5-30 crossing is not included.

On 7/1/2018 at 9:34 PM, bill937ca said:

The track covers will work with the R140 points but only 90 degree crossings. The 72.5-30 crossing is not included.

Yes, I’m reworking the layout based that fact so the point work might end up in a central reservation instead.

I have also been looking around Shapeways and who knows, I might even cut some plasticard!

brill27mcb
On 7/1/2018 at 4:34 PM, bill937ca said:

You can easily cover the 72.5-30 crossing by cutting sections from the outer straight street pieces at a 30-degree angle and using the center pieces intended for the straight route of the Mini Points turnout. The issue overall with these street kits at this point in time is that, with pre-made Wide Tram track available, you do not really need the straight and curved track covers. So you end up buying a lot of cover kits just for the turnout and crossing pieces in them. For ideas, though, check out the photos and EasyTrolley drawings on my website.

Rich K.

10 hours ago, brill27mcb said:

You can easily cover the 72.5-30 crossing by cutting sections from the outer straight street pieces at a 30-degree angle and using the center pieces intended for the straight route of the Mini Points turnout. The issue overall with these street kits at this point in time is that, with pre-made Wide Tram track available, you do not really need the straight and curved track covers. So you end up buying a lot of cover kits just for the turnout and crossing pieces in them. For ideas, though, check out the photos and EasyTrolley drawings on my website.

Actually you do need the curves and the straight pieces too if you combine several turnouts and/or don't want to cut the straight and curved track pieces around the turnouts. It's not possible to join a straight and a curved pre made piece to a 140 mm turnout without some serious cutting and filing.

Rich: I like your Easy Tram site, in particular your plaza junction....

There are two like that in Brussels. Have a look for “Verboekhoven” or “Bareel”.

For further inspiration look for Churchill (Uccle).....