New Ebay Business - Kato, Tomix et al in UK

trainhoarder

trainhoarder

Hi

Not sure if this is allowed but I have begun selling a few brand new Japanese N Scale items on eBay as a little side hustle. First item up is an EF81 in Twilight Express livery and a M1 track set. 

Ebay user id nathahones-0

If there is anything specific anyone wants me to stock I'll try my best. I ship to the EU and the US, but I'll need to get postage quotes for the latter. 

Edited by trainhoarder

Nathan,

thats fine. Please use this thread to talk about what you are putting up or other discussions on it. Please don’t post about your sales. stuff in other threads. If someone mentions something you have or might be able to get for them then please pm them about it.

jeff

trainhoarder

Just in case anyone was wondering, until the EF81 sells there won't be anymore stock- wouldn't like to stock a massive inventory not knowing whether I could make a profit! 

37 minutes ago, trainhoarder said:

Just in case anyone was wondering, until the EF81 sells there won't be anymore stock- wouldn't like to stock a massive inventory not knowing whether I could make a profit! 

Just in case you are wondering, the EF81 is at ~150% of the original retail price while the M1 is at ~223% and the latter is available off the shelf at HS. The EF81 is sold out, so that seems to be priced right. However even with shipping and taxes added, it would be cheaper for most people to just buy the M1 set directly from Japan. Not to mention it comes with the old type of analog controller, that was phased out recently and got replaced with a modern PWM based one, which could even be used in Europe and the UK without a costy 240V to 100V power adapter.

ps: The EF81 in this paint is a unique locomotive, that was used only with a single service, so imho it's not as easy to sell like for example as a JNR DE10 that was used absolutely everywhere.

trainhoarder

Yes, I made a bit of an error with the M1 set. I won't elaborate too much, but basically the profitability of this venture relies on items being brought in in hand luggage and the M1 set was too big and had to be sent. Won't be selling any more of those I think.

Pricing reflects what it'd cost to import one in the UK. If the EF81 can be bought for £40, then you have to add £7 for postage, and then depending on postal carrier, £8 or 13 "processing charge" and about £8 in VAT. So that £40 loco can, worse case scenario, turn in to a £66 one... Which is what I'm selling it for. It depends on the shipping method you use too. 

Anyway, the EF81 has gone, next up is an EF66 apparently.

• Like 1
scotspensioner

I bought the EF81!   I missed out on one a few weeks back but on Wednesday 13th I noticed Hattons had a complete Twilight Express train minus loco for sale secondhand.

So I ordered it which arrived on Friday- mint unused it appears. I therefore ordered the EF81 to go with it and received it yesterday .A big thank you.

I've now got complete sets of Twilight Express, Cassiopeia and Hokutusei! The coaches for all three came from Hattons!!!

Now I need a decent space to run them!!!

Edited by scotspensioner
Additional details
  • Like 1